How to numbering the cells with alphabetical letters in Excel?
In Excel, we can numbering the cells with number series such as 1, 2, 3… by using the autofill handle , but how can you numbering cells with alphabetical letters A, B, C…? In this tutorial, I introduce some ways to handle this job in Excel.
Insert multiple bullets or numberings in a range
|In Excel, you need to insert the bullets or numbering one by one, but with this handy tool, Kutools for Excel's Insert Bullet and Insert Nmbering utilities, you can quickly insert bullets or numbering
to the selected cells at once.. Click for 60 days free trial!
|Kutools for Excel: with more than 200 handy Excel add-ins, free to try with no limitation in 60 days.|
1. Type all letters you want to use to numbering cell in a list next to the cells you want to numbering.
|If you have Kutools for Excel, the Fill Custom Lists utility supports you to create a list from a range, then you can insert the new list at anywhere as you need without retype them one by one. Click for 60 days free trial!|
2. Select a cell which is adjacent to the letters and cell contents you want to numbering, type this formula =A1&"."&B1, drag fill handle down to fill the formula to all cells you need.
If you are familiar with macro codes, you can do as these:
1. Press Alt + F11 keys to enable Microsoft Visual Basic for Applications window. Click Insert > Module.
2. Copy and paste below code to the Module script.
VBA: numbering with A
Sub Prefix_A() 'UpdatebyExtendoffice20180828 Dim xRg As Range Dim xStrPrefix As String xStrPrefix = "A." On Error Resume Next Application.ScreenUpdating = False For Each xRg In Selection If xRg.Value <> "" Then xRg.Value = xStrPrefix & xRg.Value End If Next Application.ScreenUpdating = True End Sub
3. Then repeat paste the code and change A to B or C or D as you need.
4. Save the code and close the Microsoft Visual Basic for Applications window.
5. Select the cells you want to numbering with A, and click Developer > Macros.
6. In Macro dialog, select the code Prefix_A and click Run.
7. Selection have been numbered with A.
8. Repeat step 5 and 6 to numbering the cells with specific letter as you need.
If you have Kutools for Excel, you can quickly numbering cells.
|Kutools for Excel, with more than 200 handy functions, makes your jobs easier.|
After installing Kutools for Excel, please do as below:（Free Download Kutools for Excel Now!)
Tabbed browsing & editing multiple Excel workbooks/Word documents as Firefox, Chrome, Internet Explore 10!
You may be familiar to view multiple webpages in Firefox/Chrome/IE, and switch between them by clicking corresponding tabs easily. Here, Office Tab supports similar processing, which allow you to browse multiple Excel workbooks or Word documents in one Excel window or Word window, and easily switch between them by clicking their tabs. Click for free trial of Office Tab!
Recommended Productivity Tools
Bring handy tabs to Excel and other Office software, just like Chrome, Firefox and new Internet Explorer.
Amazing! Increase your productivity in 5 minutes. Don't need any special skills, save two hours every day!
300 New Features for Excel, Make Excel Much Easy and Powerful:
- Merge Cell/Rows/Columns without Losing Data.
- Combine and Consolidate Multiple Sheets and Workbooks.
- Compare Ranges, Copy Multiple Ranges, Convert Text to Date, Unit and Currency Conversion.
- Count by Colors, Paging Subtotals, Advanced Sort and Super Filter,
- More Select/Insert/Delete/Text/Format/Link/Comment/Workbooks/Worksheets Tools...