How to display default value based on anther cell in Excel?
Supposing there is a one-to-one correspondence between two lists in a worksheet, which means that choose one value from list 1, then its corresponding value in list 2 will be displayed automatically as below screenshot shown. How can you quickly solve this job in Excel?
In Excel, you can use the VLOOKUP function to quickly show value based on the corresponding value.
Select a cell which will display the default value, type this formula
D1 is the value you look up based on, A1:B7 is the data range you look for, 2 indicates to find the value in second column of the looking for range. Press Enter key, the value is displayed.
If you want only the default value can be displayed while its corresponding value is selected, you can create a dependent drop-down list to handle it.
1. Give a name to the list which you want to display value based on.
2. Name the default value with its corresponding value one by one.
3. Now select a cell such as D1, click Data > Data Validation > Data Validation.
4. In the Data Validation dialog, under Settings tab, choose List from Allow section, then type =Country in the Source textbox, Country is the name you give to the list you based on in step 1.
5. Click OK. Then go to E1, the cell you will place the default value, click Data > Data Validation > Data Validation.
6. Then in the Data Validation dialog, choose List from Allow section, then type =INDIRECT($D$1) in the Source textbox, $D$1 is the cell contains the first drop-down list.
7. Click OK. Now while you selecting one value from first drop-down list, only its corresponding value can be selected and displayed in second drop-down list.
Best Office Productivity Tools
Supercharge Your Excel Skills with Kutools for Excel, and Experience Efficiency Like Never Before. Kutools for Excel Offers Over 300 Advanced Features to Boost Productivity and Save Time. Click Here to Get The Feature You Need The Most...
Office Tab Brings Tabbed interface to Office, and Make Your Work Much Easier
- Enable tabbed editing and reading in Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher, Access, Visio and Project.
- Open and create multiple documents in new tabs of the same window, rather than in new windows.
- Increases your productivity by 50%, and reduces hundreds of mouse clicks for you every day!