How to sort worksheets in alphabetical / alphanumeric order in Excel?
Normally you can sort or arrange worksheet tabs order in Excel by dragging and dropping the sheet tabs on the sheet tab bar. But for getting this done with multiple worksheets, you may consider the following tricky ways to quickly sort worksheets in alphabetical / alphanumeric order in a large workbook.
Recommended Productivity Tools
There is a macro for sorting worksheets by alpha posted in the Microsoft Support center. We can apply it with following steps:
1. Hold down the ALT + F11 keys, and it opens the Microsoft Visual Basic for Applications window.
2. Click Insert > Module, and then paste the following macro in the Module Window.
VBA: Sort sheets in alphabetical / alphanumeric order
Sub SortWorkBook() 'Updateby20140624 Dim xResult As VbMsgBoxResult xTitleId = "KutoolsforExcel" xResult = MsgBox("Sort Sheets in Ascending Order?" & Chr(10) & "Clicking No will sort in Descending Order", vbYesNoCancel + vbQuestion + vbDefaultButton1, xTitleId) For i = 1 To Application.Sheets.Count For j = 1 To Application.Sheets.Count - 1 If xResult = vbYes Then If UCase$(Application.Sheets(j).Name) > UCase$(Application.Sheets(j + 1).Name) Then Sheets(j).Move after:=Sheets(j + 1) End If ElseIf xResult = vbNo Then If UCase$(Application.Sheets(j).Name) < UCase$(Application.Sheets(j + 1).Name) Then Application.Sheets(j).Move after:=Application.Sheets(j + 1) End If End If Next Next End Sub
3. Press the F5 key to run this macro. In the following prompt box, click Yes, all the worksheets will be sorted by ascending alphabetical order; and click No, all the worksheets will be sorted by descending alphabetical order.
If you are not familiar with macros or prefer to other ways, you can try Kutools for Excel. Kutools for Excel's Sort Sheets tool can sort all worksheets easily.
|Kutools for Excel : with more than 120 handy Excel add-ins, free to try with no limitation in 60 days.|
1. Click Enterprise > Worksheet > Sort Sheets. See screenshot:
2. In the Sort Sheets dialog box, select one sorting type that you need on the right pane, such as Alpha Sort, Alpha Numeric Sort, and then click the OK button. See screenshot:
3. Then all worksheets are sorted based on the specified sorting type. See screenshot:
Kutools for Excel's Sort Sheets tool can quickly rearrange all worksheets in the active workbook. It supports several sorting types, including Alpha Sort, Alpha Numeric Sort, Color Sort and Reverse. In addition, you can also move up / down worksheets, and reset the sorting. Click to know more about this utility.
Recommended Productivity Tools
Bring handy tabs to Excel and other Office software, just like Chrome, Firefox and new Internet Explorer.
Amazing! Increase your productivity in 5 minutes. Don't need any special skills, save two hours every day!
200 New Features for Excel, Make Excel Much Easy and Powerful:
- Merge Cell/Rows/Columns without Losing Data.
- Combine and Consolidate Multiple Sheets and Workbooks.
- Compare Ranges, Copy Multiple Ranges, Convert Text to Date, Unit and Currency Conversion.
- Count by Colors, Paging Subtotals, Advanced Sort and Super Filter,
- More Select/Insert/Delete/Text/Format/Link/Comment/Workbooks/Worksheets Tools...
You are guest ( Sign Up? )
or post as a guest, but your post won't be published automatically.
To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 5 days agoI don't know VBA at all but your instructions worked perfectly. Thank you so much!
To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 3 months agoThank you :)
To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 3 months agoVery helpful :) Thank you!
To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 3 months agoThank you sooooooo much !!!
To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 6 months agoThanks a Lot!!!
- ← Previous
- Next →