How to transpose / convert a single column to multiple columns in Excel?
Supposing you have a table as showing below, and you need to change one column to a range. Here we will show you some tricky things about how to change a single column into multiple columns.
Convert a single column to a range of data from row to row:
In excel, the OFFSET function can help you, you can use this formula as following steps:
1. In a blank cell C1, please enter this formula:=OFFSET($A$1,COLUMNS($A1:A1)-1+(ROWS($1:1)-1)*5,0), and then drag the fill handle from C1 to G1, see screenshot:
Note: A1 is the started cell, *5 stands for the number of cells that you want to have in each row. Meanwhile you must start this formula in the column C.
2. Then go on dragging the fill handle down to the range as far as you need. And the single column data has been converted into multiple rows as following screenshot shown:
3. As they are formulas, when you copy them, you must copy and paste them as values.
Convert a single column to a range of data from column to column:
The above formula can help you to transpose the single column to range from row to row, if you need to transpose column to range from column to column, the follwoing formula also can do you a favor.
1. In a blank cell C1, please enter this formula:=INDEX($A$1:$A$20,ROW(C1)+(5*(COLUMNS($C$1:C$1)-1))), and then drag the fill handle from C1 to C5, see screenshot:
Note: A1:A20 is the column data that you want to convert, 5* stands for the number of cells that you want to have in each column.
2. Then drag the fill handle across C column to F column, and the data in single column has been transposed to a range from column to column. see screenshot:
After installing Kutools for Excel, please do as this:
1. Select the column that you want to convert.
2. Click Kutools > Range > Transform Range, see screenshot:
3. In the Transform Range dialog box, specify the settings as follows:
- Choose Single column to range from Transform type;
- Specify the cells per row, if you have selected a column with blank cells as separator, you can check Blank cell delimits records, and the data will start a new row at each blank cell. You can also specify the number of cells per row from the Fixed value that you need.
4. Then click OK, a Transform Range prompt box will pop out, and click a cell to put the result. The Output range can be specified in different worksheets and workbooks. See screenshot:
5. Click OK, you will see the single column has been transformed to multiple columns in selected cell. See screenshot:
Kutools for Excel's Transform Range tool can help you easily transform a single column to a range, transform a single row to a range, transform a range to a single row and transform a range to a single column. Click to know more…