How To Add or Pad Leading Zeros To Numbers or text In Excel?
If you have a list of numbers that you need to add or pad some leading zeros before the numbers, when typing the zeros manually, they will be removed by default. This article is going to show you some tutorials about how to add leading zeros to numbers or text in ranges of cells in Excel.
With Kutools for Excel's Add Text feature, you can quickly add specific text before, after or certain position for a list of cell data as you need.
Supposing you have a range of data, and you need to add zeros in front of each cells to make the numbers as same length. How could you quickly add the zeros before the numbers?
The Text function will add zeros in front of numbers, and make the new numbers with leading zeros in certain length.
Enter the formula =TEXT(A4,"000000") in a blank cell where you want to output the result, and then drag the fill handle down to the cells that you want to apply this formula, and all the numbers become a fixed six-digit character string, see screenshot:
Note: This Text function can not add leading zeros for text.
Method 2: Add or pad the leading zeros to numbers to equal certain length with Format Cells function
In Excel, the Format Cells feature also can help you pad the leading zeros to cell values to make them as same length, please do as this:
1. Select the cell values you want to pad leading zeros, and then right click, then choose Format Cells from the context menu.
2. In the Format Cells dialog box, under the Number tab, select Custom in the left Category pane, and then enter 000000 into the Type text box, (In this example, I will make the numbers as six-digit numbers, you can change it to your need.), see screenshot:
3. Then, click OK to close this dialog box, and the numbers in the original cells have been converted to the certain length numbers with leading zeros. See screenshot:
If you want to insert specific digit of leading zeros into each number, for example three leading zeros for each number, you should try the Concatenate function.
Enter the formula =CONCATENATE("000",A4) in a blank cell, and then drag the fill handle down to fill this formula to other cells, and all numbers have been added three zeros before the numbers, see screenshot:
Method 4: Method 4: Add or insert the same number of leading zeros to numbers and text with Kutools for Excel
Functions or formulas may be not easy for you to remember and apply. Here is another tricky way, the Add Text utility of Kutools for Excel, to help you insert leading zeros before numbers in selections.
|Kutools for Excel : with more than 300 handy Excel add-ins, free to try with no limitation in 60 days.|
1. Select the range that you want to add zeros before the numbers or text.
2. Then click Kutools > Text > Add Text, see screenshot:
3. In the Add Text dialog box, enter the number of zeros with a leading apostrophe in the Text box, and select the Before first character option, then click Ok button, and the zeros have been added before the numbers as following screenshot shown:
The Add Text utility of Kutools for Excel supports us to add any specific text and characters before or after the original cell text. What's more, we can add specific text between original cell texts. No matter which settings you set, you can preview the cell changes in the Preview section. Click to know more about this utility.
Kutools for Excel includes more than 300 handy Excel tools. Free to try with no limitation in 60 days. Download the free trial now!
Recommended Productivity Tools
Bring handy tabs to Excel and other Office software, just like Chrome, Firefox and new Internet Explorer.
Amazing! Increase your productivity in 5 minutes. Don't need any special skills, save two hours every day!
300 New Features for Excel, Make Excel Much Easy and Powerful:
- Merge Cell/Rows/Columns without Losing Data.
- Combine and Consolidate Multiple Sheets and Workbooks.
- Compare Ranges, Copy Multiple Ranges, Convert Text to Date, Unit and Currency Conversion.
- Count by Colors, Paging Subtotals, Advanced Sort and Super Filter,
- More Select/Insert/Delete/Text/Format/Link/Comment/Workbooks/Worksheets Tools...
You are guest ( Sign Up? )
or post as a guest, but your post won't be published automatically.
To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 3 months agoВ примере ошибка, нужно ставить не запятую, а точку с запятой: "= Текст (A2, "00000")"
To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 4 months agothank you, very helpful
To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 1 years agoI was wondering how i would write phone numbers in excel, but there was no zeros appearing. And also the phone numbers are in one column like
To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 1 years agoThank you for sharing..it's really use for me.
To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 1 years agoThank you for helping me out. You saved my day!
- ← Previous
- Next →