How to split full name to first and last name in Excel?
Supposing you have a name roster as the first screen shot shows in single column below, and you need to split the full name to the first name column and last name column as the following screen shot shows. Here are some tricky methods to help you solve this problem:
If your full names are separated by comma or other delimiters in cell,Kutools for Excel' Split Cells feature also can do you a favor, see screenshot:
Kutools for Excel: with more than 200 handy Excel add-ins, free to try with no limitation in 60 days. Download and free trial Now!
You can use the Left function, Right function and Find function to spit a full name to the first name and last name with following steps:
1. Enter the formula of =LEFT(A2,FIND(" ",A2,1)-1) in a blank cell, says Cell C2 in this case.
2. Enter the formula of =RIGHT(A2,LEN(A2)-FIND(" ",A2,1)) in another blank cell, Cell D2.
3. Select the range of C2:D15, and click the Home >> Fill >> Down. Now you will see the full name column is split to the first name and last name columns separatelly at once.
It is not easy to remember the function. Please do not worry about it. The second way will guild you to split the full name column easily.
1. Select the column that you will split, in this case it is A1:A15.
2. Click the Text to Column button under Data Tab.
3. In the Convert Text to Columns Wizard – Step 1 of 3 dialog box, check the Delimited option, and click Next button.
4. In the Step 2 of 3 wizard, only check the Space option in the Delimiters section, and click Next button.
5. In the step 3 of 3, check the Text option in the Column data format section, and specify the Destination cell where you want to put the results. See screenshot:
6. Click the Finish button. Then you will see the full name column has been separated into first name column and last name column at once.
If you are tired with the above two methods, here, I can recommend you a useful tool – Kutools for Excel, with its Split Names feature, you can quickly split the full names to first and last names, or split full names to first, middle and last names as you need.
|Kutools for Excel : with more than 200 handy Excel add-ins, free to try with no limitation in 60 days.|
After installing Kutools for Excel, please do as follows:
1. Select the name range that you want to split.
2. Click Kutools > Text > Split Names, in the Split Names dialog box, specify the Split types you want, if you want to split the full name to first and last name, please check First name and Last name, see screenshots:
3. Then click OK button, and another dialog will appear, please select a cell where you want to put the result in the dialog, see screenshot:
4. And click OK button, the full names have been split into first name column and last name column, see screenshot:
Note: If your full name contains first, middle and last names needed to be split into three columns separately, you just need to check First name, Middle name and Last name in the Split Names dialog box and you will get the following result:
Recommended Productivity Tools
Bring handy tabs to Excel and other Office software, just like Chrome, Firefox and new Internet Explorer.
Amazing! Increase your productivity in 5 minutes. Don't need any special skills, save two hours every day!
200 New Features for Excel, Make Excel Much Easy and Powerful:
- Merge Cell/Rows/Columns without Losing Data.
- Combine and Consolidate Multiple Sheets and Workbooks.
- Compare Ranges, Copy Multiple Ranges, Convert Text to Date, Unit and Currency Conversion.
- Count by Colors, Paging Subtotals, Advanced Sort and Super Filter,
- More Select/Insert/Delete/Text/Format/Link/Comment/Workbooks/Worksheets Tools...