How to filter or select cells by cell color in Excel?
Normally you can fill cells with different colors for any purposes in Excel. If you have a worksheet with using different colors to indicate different type of contents and you want to filter or select those cells by the cell color, you may get it done as follows:
Count and sum cells based on background color / font color / conditional formatting:
Kutools for Excel’s Count by Color can quickly count and sum cells based on background color, font color. With it, you can count and sum by conditional formatting color as well.
Kutools for Excel: with more than 200 handy Excel add-ins, free to try with no limitation in 60 days. Download and free trial Now!
You can filter rows by cell color with following steps:
1. Select the column that you want to filter by cell color, and click Data > Filter, see screenshot:
2. Then the filter arrow button will be appeared besides the title of selected column.
3. Click the button, and move mouse over the Filter by Color item, and select one color to filter.
4. Then it shows the rows whose cells are filled by selected color, and hide other rows quickly. See screenshot:
You may want to select cells by cell color, the Find command can help you quickly select the same color of the cells. And you can do it with following steps:
1. Select the range that you want to select the cells by specific color.
2. Press the Ctrl + F shortcuts to open the Find and Replace dialog box. And click Find tab.
3. Then click the Format button, and click Choose Format From Cell… item to select a cell with the specific color you want to select by.
Note: If there is no Format button in the dialog box, please click the Options button to get it.
4. Click the Find All button in the Find and Replace dialog box. And it will filter all cells which have the same color as the selected cell. And then press Ctrl + A to select all cells.
5. Then close the dialog box, and all cells meet the criteria are selected, then you can copy and paste them to a blank range as you want.
If you have installed Kutools for Excel, you can use its Select Cells with Format tool to select the rows that contains cells meeting criteria no matter the cells in which column.
|Kutools for Excel : with more than 120 handy Excel add-ins, free to try with no limitation in 60 days.|
1. Click Kutools > Select > Select Cells with Format…, see screenshot:
2. In the Select Cells with Format dialog box, please do as follows:
(1.) Click button to select the data range that you want to select the same color rows;
(2.) Then click Choose Format From Cell button to specify a cell that you want to select other same color rows based on.
(3.) And all the attributes of that specified cell have been listed into the below list box, then just check Fill checkbox in the dialog box.
3. And then click OK, a prompt box will appear to tell you how many cells are matched with the specific cell.
If you click Yes, all cells with the same color as the base cell have been selected. (If you click No, you can search again.) Then you can copy and paste them to a blank range as you want. See screenshot:
Recommended Productivity Tools
Bring handy tabs to Excel and other Office software, just like Chrome, Firefox and new Internet Explorer.
Amazing! Increase your productivity in 5 minutes. Don't need any special skills, save two hours every day!
200 New Features for Excel, Make Excel Much Easy and Powerful:
- Merge Cell/Rows/Columns without Losing Data.
- Combine and Consolidate Multiple Sheets and Workbooks.
- Compare Ranges, Copy Multiple Ranges, Convert Text to Date, Unit and Currency Conversion.
- Count by Colors, Paging Subtotals, Advanced Sort and Super Filter,
- More Select/Insert/Delete/Text/Format/Link/Comment/Workbooks/Worksheets Tools...
You are guest ( Sign Up? )
or post as a guest, but your post won't be published automatically.
To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 6 months agoI am trying to select all cells of a specified colour where the colour has been applied as a result of conditional formatting. It does not work with Find All.
To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 1 years agoThis page was VERY helpful. I took the time to add a comment because I wanted to thank whomever that had this web page. Thank-you!
To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 1 years agoHi how do I do this if there are no colours?
To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 2 years agoHi, i want to sort color by rows. Example. I have 2 color in excell by random, white and red. And i want to sort all the red cell colour go to left. How can i do that? Help please if u know. Thank you.
To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 2 years agoHi sir.
Thanks.......That was very helpful for all.