How to filter or select cells by cell color in Excel?
Normally you can fill cells with different colors for any purposes in Excel. If you have a worksheet with using different colors to indicate different type of contents and you want to filter or select those cells by the cell color, you may get it done as follows:
You can filter rows by cell color with following steps:
1. Select the column that you want to filter by cell color, and click Data > Filter, see screenshot:
2. Then the filter arrow button will be appeared besides the title of selected column.
3. Click the button, and move mouse over the Filter by Color item, and select one color to filter.
4. Then it shows the rows whose cells are filled by selected color, and hide other rows quickly. See screenshot:
If you have Kutools for Excel, with its Special Filter feature, you can quickly filter all cells which filled with same background color.
After installing Kutools for Excel, please do as this:
1. Seelct the column that you want to filter by background color, and then click Kutools Plus > Special Filter > Special Filter, see screenshot:
2. In the Special Filter dialog box, select Format option, then choose Background Color from the drop down list, and then click button to select a color that you want to filter out, see screesnhot:
3. Then click Ok button, and a promot box will pop out to remind you how many matched cells have been found, see screenshot:
4. And then click OK button, all cells with the same color you specfied have been filtered at once, see screenshot:
You may want to select cells by cell color, the Find command can help you quickly select the same color of the cells. And you can do it with following steps:
1. Select the range that you want to select the cells by specific color.
2. Press the Ctrl + F shortcuts to open the Find and Replace dialog box. And click Find tab.
3. Then click the Format button, and click Choose Format From Cell… item to select a cell with the specific color you want to select by.
Note: If there is no Format button in the dialog box, please click the Options button to get it.
4. Click the Find All button in the Find and Replace dialog box. And it will filter all cells which have the same color as the selected cell. And then press Ctrl + A to select all cells.
5. Then close the dialog box, and all cells meet the criteria are selected, then you can copy and paste them to a blank range as you want.
You are guest
or post as a guest, but your post won't be published automatically.
- To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 2 years agoI am trying to select all cells of a specified colour where the colour has been applied as a result of conditional formatting. It does not work with Find All.
- To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 3 years agoThis page was VERY helpful. I took the time to add a comment because I wanted to thank whomever that had this web page. Thank-you!
- To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 4 years agoHi how do I do this if there are no colours?
- To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 5 years agoHi, i want to sort color by rows. Example. I have 2 color in excell by random, white and red. And i want to sort all the red cell colour go to left. How can i do that? Help please if u know. Thank you.
- To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 5 years agoHi sir.
Thanks.......That was very helpful for all.
- To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 6 years agoWhat do we do to filter cells based on their colour if the 'Filter by Colour' option does not appear, even when some cells are coloured in?
- To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 6 years agoTHANKS, That was very helpful for me. Best Regards!