How to compact data (pst/ost) files in Outlook?
For a long time Microsoft Outlook’s data files (pst/ost file) may have taken up huge space in your computer. Apart from mailbox cleanup by emptying deleted items folders, you can release the occupied space by compacting data files. This article will show you how to compact data file (pst/ost data files) in Microsoft Outlook.
Office Tab: Enable Tabbed Editing and Browsing in Office, Just Like Chrome, Firefox, IE 8/9/10.
Classic Menu: Bring Old Menus and Toolbars Back to Office 2007, 2010, 2013, 2016 and 2019.
The following steps will guide you to compact data (pst/ost) files in Microsoft Outlook.
Step 1: Open the Account Settings dialog box:
- In Outlook 2007, please click the Tools > Account Settings;
- In Outlook 2010 and 2013, please click the File > Info > Account Settings > Account Settings.
Step 2: In the Account Settings dialog box,
- Click the Data Files tab;
- Click to highlight a data file that you will compact later;
- Click the Settings button.
Step 3: If you select a pst data file in Step 2, please skip to the Step 4.
If you select an Exchange account’s ost data file in Step 2, the Microsoft Exchange dialog box will come out. Please check the Use Cached Exchange Mode box and then click the Outlook Data File Settings button (or Offline Folder File Settings button in Outlook 2007) on the Advanced tab in this dialog box. But if the selected ost data file is not from the Exchange account, please skip to the Step 4.
Step 5: Click all OK buttons and Close button.
Recommended Productivity Tools
- Complicated and repeated operations can be done a one-time processing in seconds.
- Forward multiple emails individually with one-click, and auto forward by rules.
- Auto CC/BCC every sending email and easy for customizing rules, and auto reply without requiring exchange server.
- Powerful junk emails filter, remove duplicate emails, reply with attachment, bunch of one-click operations, and so on...
- 60-day unlimited free trial. 60-day money back guarantee. 2 years free upgrade and support. Buy once, use forever.