How to add checkbox controls or checkbox marks into email messages in Outlook?
Let’s say you are going to make a survey with email messages in Microsoft Outlook. When designing a questionnaire, you may need to add checkboxes. It’s quite complicated for normal users to display Developer tab and apply the Control Toolbox. In this article, we will introduce a couple of ways to add checkboxes in email messages at ease in Outlook.
- Add checkbox marks for printing in an email message (6 steps)
- Add clickable checkbox controls in an email message (7 steps)
- Add checkbox controls into an email messages (3 steps)
The Checkboxes added with Kutools for Outlook are made by controls. However, controls may not be loaded when recipients view messages. Sometimes, you may just want to add checkboxes as samples, or for printing. Here we will introduce how to add checkboxes for printing in email messages.
1. Create a new email message with clicking Home > New Email.
2. click to highlight the options text that you will add checkboxes before.
3. Click Format Text (or Message) > bullet button > Define New Bullet. See screen shot:
4. In the Define New Bullet dialog box, please click the Symbol button.
5. In the Symbol dialog box, please click the in the Font: box, and click to select the Wingdings from the drop down list, and then click to select one of checkbox symbols from the table.
6. Click all OK buttons in each dialog box. Then you will see the selected checkbox symbol is inserted before each option text. See screen shot:
Note: The checkboxes added by this way are symbols, and you can view them without activating controls. However, they can’t be checked off.
For inserting clickable checkboxes controls in an email message in Outlook, we can generate the checkbox controls in Microsoft Word, and then copy them to the email message. Please do as follows:
1. Create a new Word document, and then insert a table with clicking Insert > Table. Please specify 2 columns for the new table. See screenshot:
2. Activate the Developer tab in Ribbon as follows:
(1) Click File > Options;
(2) In the Word Options dialog box, please click the Customize Ribbon in the left bar, and then check the Developer in the Customize the Ribbon box, and click the OK button. See screenshot:
3. Place the cursor in the cell you will insert a checkbox control, and click Developer > Check Box Content Control. See screenshot:
4. Go ahead to repeat above step to insert multiple checkbox controls into many cells, and then type your checkbox text besides each cell of checkbox control.
5. Select the entire table, and click Layout > AutoFit > AutoFit Contents. See screenshot:
6. Keep selecting the entire table, copy it with pressing the Ctrl + C keys; and then go the email message you will insert checkbox controls, and paste the table with pressing the Ctrl + V keys.
And now the table with checkbox controls are pasted into the email message. And each checkbox control is clickable. See screenshot:
7. Compose your email message and send it.
Kutools for Outlook’s AutoText utility can help you quickly insert checkboxes into email messages in Microsoft Outlook with several clicks.
1. Create a new email message with clicking Home > New Email.
2. Place the cursor where you will add checkboxes, and then click the CheckBox 1 in the CheckBox category of Auto Text Pane to insert it. See screenshot:
Notes: After installing Kutools for Outlook, the Auto Text pane is added in the right of Message Window by default. If the Auto Text Pane disappears, please click the Kutools > Pane to activate it.
3. Replace the text of CheckBox1 behind the inserted checkbox with your own options text.
If necessary, you can add as many checkbox controls as you need easily! And you can tick or untick these controls easily when composing the email.
When recipients receive the mails with these checkbox controls, they can also tick or untick the checkboxes when replying or forwarding the email too.
- Auto CC/BCC by rules when sending email; Auto Forward Multiple Emails by custom; Auto Reply without exchange server, and more automatic features...
- BCC Warning - show message when you try to reply all if your mail address is in the BCC list; Remind When Missing Attachments, and more remind features...
- Reply (All) With All Attachments in the mail conversation; Reply Many Emails in seconds; Auto Add Greeting when reply; Add Date into subject...
- Attachment Tools: Manage All Attachments in All Mails, Auto Detach, Compress All, Rename All, Save All... Quick Report, Count Selected Mails...
- Powerful Junk Emails by custom; Remove Duplicate Mails and Contacts... Enable you to do smarter, faster and better in Outlook.
You are guest ( Sign Up? )
or post as a guest, but your post won't be published automatically.
- To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 1 years agoI found I was unable to activate the developer toolbox, but I achieved essentially the same thing by opening a new MS Word document, going to Developer tab -> Controls, selecting the checkbox control and adding it to the page. I then copied this checkbox and pasted it into my email everywhere I wanted the recipients to nominate a response. They were able to check whichever check boxes they wanted by a single mouse click on each one.
- To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 1 years agoI have used the Developer content feature. Thank you very much. This has really assisted.
- To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 3 years agoI have downloaded Kutools to use in Outlook 2013. The check boxes work in my unsent email but the checkboxes do not work for the recipient. Even when I emailed myself the checkboxes did not work.
- To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 4 years agoInstructions per number 3 do not work for any receiving email.
- To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 6 years agoHi
I have used Kutools to add a Checkbox in Outlook 2013
The process works when I create and send and then open the email on the same PC but it will not allow the boxes to be checked on my IPAD or on my Mac using Outlook 2013
- To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 6 years agoI could not follow this. I got as far as open a new email! It then says go to Format Toosl - that option is not on my outlook!
- To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 6 years agoDoes this tool work for the receiver?
I want to make an email survey using check box by sending email to all my users and want them to reply me back checking in the box in the email.
So, Is the check box functional even to the receiver side?
Waiting for the reoply.