How to create contact group from category in Outlook?
You may have marked some contacts with certain categories in Outlook for some reasons. And now you need to create a contact group with these marked contacts, how do you deal with it? In this article, I will introduce a way to create a contact group from certain categories in Outlook.
Office Tab: Enable Tabbed Editing and Browsing in Office, Just Like Chrome, Firefox, IE 8/9/10.
Classic Menu: Bring Old Menus and Toolbars Back to Office 2007, 2010, 2013, 2016 and 2019.
The following steps will walk you through creating a contact group from a certain category in Microsoft Outlook easily.
Step 1: Shift to the People view (or Contact view), and open the specified contact folder that the contacts with the specified category are in.
Step 2: Activate the Search Tools in Ribbon with putting cursor into the search box above contacts.
Note: In Outlook 2007, expand the Query Builder with clicking the arrow above the contact list, then click the Add Criteria > Categories to show the Categories field into the Query Builder.
Step 3: Click the Categorized button (or Categories field), and then select the specified category from the drop down list on the Search tab.
In our example, we click the Categorized > Orange Category on the Search Tab.
Step 4: Then all contacts marked as Orange Category are listed out. Select all searching results with clicking one contact, and then pressing the Ctrl + A keys simultaneously; then right click the selected contacts, and then click the Move > Copy to Folder from the right clicking menu. See screen shot below:
Note: In Outlook 2007, right click the selected contacts, and select the Move to Folder from the right-clicking menu. By the way, the Moves to Folder option won’t display if you select only one contact.
Step 5: To Move or copy the selected contacts with the specified category to a new folder, you need to:
(1) In the Move Items or Copy Items dialog box, click the New button;
(2) In the Create New Folder dialog box, enter a name for the new folder in the Name box, and then click to select a contact folder in the Select where to place the folder box;
(3) Click two OK buttons to close both dialog boxes.
Step 6: Create a new contact group with clicking the New Contact Group button on the Home tab in the Contacts or People view.
Note: In Outlook 2007, you need to click the File > New > Distribution List.
Step 7: In the Contact Group window, enter a name for the contact group in the Name box, and then click the Add Members > From Outlook Contacts on the Contact Group tab. See screen shot below:
Note: In Outlook 2007, click the Select Members button on the Distribution List tab.
Step 8: Now in the Select Members dialog box, click the Address Book box, and then specify the folder you created in Step 5 from the drop down list.
Step 9: Select all contacts in the specified folder with holding the Shift key and clicking the first contact and the last one, next click the Members button, and at last click the OK button.
Step 10: Now you get back to the Contact Group window, click the Save & Close button.
Up to present, we have created a contact group by contacts marked by specified category already.
Recommended Productivity Tools
- Complicated and repeated operations can be done a one-time processing in seconds.
- Forward multiple emails individually with one-click, and auto forward by rules.
- Auto CC/BCC every sending email and easy for customizing rules, and auto reply without requiring exchange server.
- Powerful junk emails filter, remove duplicate emails, reply with attachment, bunch of one-click operations, and so on...
- 60-day unlimited free trial. 60-day money back guarantee. 2 years free upgrade and support. Buy once, use forever.