How to count the total number of items (emails) in all folders in Outlook?
In Outlook, it automatically shows the number of unread items/emails beside folder name in the Navigation pane as right screenshot shown. But now, you need to count the total number of items/emails instead of only unread ones, how? Below workarounds will solve this problems easily!
- Count total number of items/emails in one folder
- Count total number of items/email in each folder with VBA
- Count total number of items/emails in each folder with Kutools for Outlook
- Count total numbers of all items/emails in all/multiple folders
For counting the total number of items/emails in one folder in Outlook, you can easily change this folder’s properties to archive it.
1. In the Navigation Pane, right click the folder whose total number of items you will count, and select Properties from the right-clicking menu. See screenshot below:
2. In the opening Properties dialog box, please check the Show total number of items option, and click the OK button. See screenshot above:
And now the number of unread items beside the folder name is replaced with the total number of all items/emails. See screenshot:
(1) After selecting the folder in Navigation Pane, the number of all emails and number of unread emails are also shown at the Status bar.
(2) This method can only show one folder’s total number of items/emails at a time. For showing the total numbers of items of all folders, please try below VBA.
For counting the total numbers of all items in all folders, please apply below VBA code in Outlook.
1. Press Alt + F11 keys simultaneously to open the Microsoft Visual Basic for Applications window.
2. Click Insert > Module, and then paste below VBA code into the new opening Module window.
VBA: Count/show total numbers of items/emails in all folders in Outlook
Sub ShowTotalInAllFolders() Dim oStore As Outlook.Store Dim oRoot As Outlook.Folder On Error Resume Next For Each oStore In Application.Session.Stores Set oRoot = oStore.GetRootFolder ShowTotalInFolders oRoot Next End Sub Private Sub ShowTotalInFolders(ByVal Root As Outlook.Folder) Dim oFolder As Outlook.Folder On Error Resume Next If Root.Folders.Count > 0 Then For Each oFolder In Root.Folders oFolder.ShowItemCount = olShowTotalItemCount ShowTotalInFolders oFolder Next End If End Sub
3. Press the F5 key or click the Run button to run this VBA.
And now the total number of items/emails in each folder is showing beside the folder name. See screenshot:
If you have Kutools for Outlook installed, you can quickly count the total number of all items/emails in each folder with its All Folders Show Total Number of Items feature. Please do as follows:
Click Kutools Plus > Show Number of Items > All Folders Show Total Number of Item.
And now the number of unread items behind each folder on the Navigation Pane is changed to the the total number of all items immediately. See screenshot:
All of above methods are talking about counting the total number of all emails in each folder. Have you ever thought of summing the numbers of item in each folder and returning a total number? This method will introduce Kutools for Outlook's Statistics feature to count the total number of all/multiple items in all folders.
1. Click Kutools Plus > Statistics. See screenshot:
2. Click the OK button directly in the first Statistic dialog box.
Note: By default all folders in all email accounts are selected. For counting total numbers in several/multiple folders, please check them only and click the OK button.
And now the second Statistic dialog box comes out, and you will get the total number of all items/emails in all folders of all email accounts configured in your Outlook. See screenshot:
- Auto CC/BCC by rules when sending email; Auto Forward Multiple Emails by custom; Auto Reply without exchange server, and more automatic features...
- BCC Warning - show message when you try to reply all if your mail address is in the BCC list; Remind When Missing Attachments, and more remind features...
- Reply (All) With All Attachments in the mail conversation; Reply Many Emails in seconds; Auto Add Greeting when reply; Add Date into subject...
- Attachment Tools: Manage All Attachments in All Mails, Auto Detach, Compress All, Rename All, Save All... Quick Report, Count Selected Mails...
- Powerful Junk Emails by custom; Remove Duplicate Mails and Contacts... Enable you to do smarter, faster and better in Outlook.