How to count the number of recipients in To, Cc, and Bcc fields in Outlook?
Let’s say you add many recipients in the To, Cc, and Bcc fields in a composing email in Outlook, and now you want to count the total number of recipients, how? Below method will introduce a VBA to count the total number of recipients in the To, Cc, and Bcc fields.
Office Tab: Enable Tabbed Editing and Browsing in Office, Just Like Chrome, Firefox, IE 8/9/10.
Classic Menu: Bring Old Menus and Toolbars Back to Office 2007, 2010, 2013, 2016 and 2019.
This method will introduce a VBA macro to count the total number of recipients you added in the To, Cc, and Bcc fields in a composing email. Please do as follows:
1. After adding recipients in the composing email, please press the Alt + F11 keys simultaneously to open the Microsoft Visual Basic for Applications window.
2. Click Insert > Module, and then paste below VBA code into the opening Module window.
VBA: Count the number of all recipients
' Count all recipients in To, Cc, and Bcc fields Sub Hurriedness() If (Inspectors. Count > 0) Then Msg Box (ActiveInspector.CurrentItem.Recipients.ount) & " Recipients" End Sub
3. Press the F5 key or click the Run button to run this VBA.
Now a dialog box will come out and display how many recipients you have added in the To, Cc, and Bcc fields.
(1) This VBA code will count a contact group as one recipient;
(2) This VBA code will count duplicate recipients repeatedly. For example, you have added the same recipient into both the To field and Cc filed, this code will count this recipients twice.
(3) For counting the total number of recipients excluding duplicate ones, we recommend you remove duplicate recipients with Kutools for Outlook’s Duplicate Names feature before running the VBA code.
Above method will count the total number of all recipients you will send to in the currently composing email in Outlook. But, this method will Introduce Kutools for Outlook’s Add to Group feature and Count (Contact Group) feature to help you count the total number of all recipients you have sent emails to in the Sent Items folder. Please do as follows:
Kutools for Outlook - With more than 20 handy Outlook add-ins, free to try with no limitation in 60 days
1. In the Mail view, please click Home > New Items > More Items > Contact group to create a new contact group.
2. In the new opening Contact Group window, please name the new contact group in the Name box, and then click Contact Group > Save & Close. See screenshot:
3. Click to open the Sent Items folder, select all emails in the Sent Items folder, and then click Kutools > Add to Group. See screenshot:
4. In the opening Add Recipients to Contact Groups dialog box, please only check the recipients in the Recipients list box, check the new contact group you created above in the Contact Groups list box, and click the OK button.
Note: In the Add Recipients to Contact Groups dialog box, you can easily check all recipients only with (1) right clicking any emails and selecting Uncheck All from the context menu, next (2) right clicking any emails and selecting Check All Recipients from the context menu. See below screenshots:
5. Shift to the People (or Contacts) view, double click to open the new contact group, and then click Kutools > Count. See screenshot:
And then you will get the total number of all members in the new contact group as above screenshot shown. In other words, you have counted out the total number of all recipients in the Sent Items folder.Click to download Kutools for Outlook, 60-day free tiral no limitation!
Recommended Productivity Tools
- Complicated and repeated operations can be done a one-time processing in seconds.
- Forward multiple emails individually with one-click, and auto forward by rules.
- Auto CC/BCC every sending email and easy for customizing rules, and auto reply without requiring exchange server.
- Powerful junk emails filter, remove duplicate emails, reply with attachment, bunch of one-click operations, and so on...
- 60-day unlimited free trial. 60-day money back guarantee. 2 years free upgrade and support. Buy once, use forever.