How to count the number of images in a Word document?
If there are multiple graphics in your Word document that contain both inline images and floating shapes, now, you want to count the number of these graphics in the whole document, how could you get the number of images quickly and correctly?
The Find and Replace feature in Word can help you to count the number of inline pictures only quickly and easily, please do as follows:
1. Click Home > Find > Advanced Find, see screenshot:
2. In the Find and Replace dialog box, under the Find tab, type the ^g into the Find what text box, and then choose Main Document from the Find In drop down list, see screenshot:
3. And then you can see the number of the inline images in this Word document has been displayed as following screenshot shown:
The above method can only count the number of inline images, if there are some floating shapes in the document, they will not be counted. The following VBA code can help you to count both the inline images and floating shapes, please do as this:
1. Hold down the ALT + F11 keys to open the Microsoft Visual Basic for Applications window.
2. Then, click Insert > Module, copy and paste below code into the opened blank module, see screenshot:
VBA code: Count the number of both inline images and floating shapes:
Sub CountImagesInDoc() Dim xInlines As Long Dim xFloaters As Long Dim sh As Shape Dim tbxs As Long Dim msg As String With ActiveDocument For Each sh In .Shapes If sh.Type = msoTextBox Then tbxs = tbxs + 1 Next xInlines = .InlineShapes.Count xFloaters = .Shapes.Count - tbxs End With xPrompt = "Inline images:" & vbTab & xInlines & vbCr xPrompt = xPrompt & "Floating shapes:" & vbTab & xFloaters & vbCr xPrompt = xPrompt & vbTab & "Total:" & vbTab & (xInlines + xFloaters) & vbCr xPrompt = xPrompt & "Counts do not include headers and footers, etc." MsgBox xPrompt, vbInformation, "Kutools for Word" End Sub
3. After pasting the code, then press F5 key to run this code, and a prompt box is popped out to tell you how many inline images and floating shapes in this Word document, see screenshot:
Recommended Word Productivity Tools
- Complicated and repeated operations can be done one-time processing in seconds.
- Insert multiple images across folders into Word document at once.
- Merge and combine multiple Word files across folders into one with your desired order.
- Split the current document into separate documents according to heading, section break or other criteria.
- Convert files between Doc and Docx, Docx and PDF, collection of tools for common conversions and selection, and so on...