How to change the author name for comment in Word
This article is talking about changing the default author name for comments, or changing the existing author name in a document to a new one. Please try the below two methods.
If you want to change the comment’s author name for future use, please change the User Name in Word Options window.
1. In an opened Word document, click File > Options. In the Word Options window, make sure you are locating in the General tab, change the name in the User name box as below screenshot shown, and finally click the OK button.
Now you have changed the default user name for comments in Word document.
If you have received a document with lots of comments, and you want to change all comments' author names to a certain one, the following VBA code will do you a favor.
1. Select the range contains comments or select the whole document you will change the author names by pressing the Ctrl + A keys, press the Alt + F11 keys to open the Microsoft Visual Basic for Applications window.
2. In the opening Microsoft Visual Basic for Applications window, click Insert > Module. Then copy below VBA code into the Module window.
VBA code: Change the existing comments' author name of document
Sub ChangeCommentAuthor() 'Updated by EntendOffice 20181112 Dim I As Long Dim xNewName As String Dim xShortName As String If Selection.Comments.Count = 0 Then MsgBox "No comments in your selection!", vbInformation, "KuTools for Word" Exit Sub End If xNewName = InputBox("New author name?", "KuTools for Word") xShortName = InputBox("New author initials?", "KuTools for Word") If xNewName = "" Or xShortName = "" Then MsgBox "The author name/initials can’t be empty.", vbInformation, "Kutools for Word" Exit Sub End If With Selection For I = 1 To .Comments.Count .Comments(I).Author = xNewName .Comments(I).Initial = xShortName Next I End With End Sub
3. Press the F5 key to run the code. In the opening Comments Author Name dialog box, enter the new author name into the textbox and click the OK button.
4. In the next opening Comments initials dialog box, enter the initials as you need and click the OK button.
Then all comments’ author names in selected range are changed to the specified one immediately as below screenshot shown.
Best Office Productivity Tools
Kutools for Word - Elevate Your Word Experience with Over 100 Remarkable Features!
Dive into the highlighted features below or click here to explore the full power of Kutools for Word.
➕ Creative Inserts: Insert Thousand Separators / Check Boxes / Radio Buttons / QR Code / Barcode / Diagonal Line Table / Equation Caption / Image Caption / Table Caption / Multiple Pictures / Discover more in our Insert Group
Transform your Word tasks with Kutools. 👉 Download with 30-day trial Now 🚀.