How to change the author name for comment in Word
This article is talking about changing the default author name for comments, or changing the existing author name in a document to a new one. Please try the below two methods.
If you want to change the comment’s author name for future use, please change the User Name in Word Options window.
1. In an opened Word document, click File > Options. In the Word Options window, make sure you are locating in the General tab, change the name in the User name box as below screenshot shown, and finally click the OK button.
Now you have changed the default user name for comments in Word document.
If you have received a document with lots of comments, and you want to change all comments’ author names to a certain one, the following VBA code will do you a favor.
1. Select the range contains comments or select the whole document you will change the author names by pressing the Ctrl + A keys, press the Alt + F11 keys to open the Microsoft Visual Basic for Applications window.
2. In the opening Microsoft Visual Basic for Applications window, click Insert > Module. Then copy below VBA code into the Module window.
VBA code: Change the existing comments’ author name of document
Sub ChangeCommentAuthor() 'Updated by EntendOffice 20181112 Dim I As Long Dim xNewName As String Dim xShortName As String If Selection.Comments.Count = 0 Then MsgBox "No comments in your selection!", vbInformation, "KuTools for Word" Exit Sub End If xNewName = InputBox("New author name?", "KuTools for Word") xShortName = InputBox("New author initials?", "KuTools for Word") If xNewName = "" Or xShortName = "" Then MsgBox "The author name/initials can’t be empty.", vbInformation, "Kutools for Word" Exit Sub End If With Selection For I = 1 To .Comments.Count .Comments(I).Author = xNewName .Comments(I).Initial = xShortName Next I End With End Sub
3. Press the F5 key to run the code. In the opening Comments Author Name dialog box, enter the new author name into the textbox and click the OK button.
4. In the next opening Comments initials dialog box, enter the initials as you need and click the OK button.
Then all comments’ author names in selected range are changed to the specified one immediately as below screenshot shown.
Recommended Productivity Tools
- Complicated and repeated operations can be done a one-time processing in seconds.
- Insert multiple images across folders into Word document at once.
- Merge and combine multiple Word files across folders in to one with your desired order.
- Split the current document into separate documents according to heading 1, section break or other criteria.
- Convert files between Doc and Docx, Docx and PDF, collection of tools for common conversions and selection, and so on...