How to insert text to the margin of the Word document?
As we all know, we can only type the text in the edit area of the Word document. But, sometimes, you may want to insert some text on the margin of the Word document as following screenshot shown. How could you insert text to the margin of the Word quickly and easily?
You can move the selected text that you want to put to the margin of the page by adjusting the indent of the text, please do as this:
1. Select the texts that you want to place on margin, and then click Home > Paragraph Settings in the Paragraph group, see screenshot:
2. In the Paragraph dialog box, under the Indents and Spacing tab, in the Indentation section, enter a negative value that you want to indent the text in the Left box, see screenshot:
3. Then, click OK button, and you can see the selected texts have been indented to the margin of the page, see screenshot:
You can also insert a text box first, and then drag it to the margin of the document, please do with the following steps:
1. Fist, please click Insert > Text Box > Draw Text Box, and then draw a text box with mouse as you need.
2. Then, enter the text into the text box, see screenshot:
3. And then, you can rotate the text box to a direction as you need, if you want to put the text box vertically on the margin of the page, please click Drawing Tools - Format > Rotate > Rotate Right 90〫/ Rotate Left 90〫, see screenshot:
4. Then, you should drag the text box at the margin of the document as you need.
5. And then, you can format the text box as no line and no outline as you need. Please right click the border of the text box, and select No Fill and No Outline from the Fill and Outline drop downs separately see screenshot:
6. Now, you can see the text has been put on the margin of the document, see screenshot:
If you want to put text to the margin of the document for each page, you can apply the Header or Footer feature for solving it, please do as this:
1. First, please click Insert > Header / Footer, and then, select one header or footer style as you need, see screenshot:
2. When the header or footer is inserted, delete the original text in the header or footer, and then, click Insert > Text Box > Draw Text Box, and draw a text box as you need. Then, type the text you need into the text box, see screenshot:
3. And then, repeat the step3-step6 of above method to finish the operation. At last, click Close Header and Footer under the Design tab. Now, you can see the text has been inserted at the margin of the document for each page, see screenshot:
Recommended Productivity Tools
- Complicated and repeated operations can be done a one-time processing in seconds.
- Insert multiple images across folders into Word document at once.
- Merge and combine multiple Word files across folders in to one with your desired order.
- Split the current document into separate documents according to heading 1, section break or other criteria.
- Convert files between Doc and Docx, Docx and PDF, collection of tools for common conversions and selection, and so on...