Get value at given row and column
If you need to find out the value at the intersection of a given row and column in Excel, you should make a good use of the combination of INDIRECT and ADDRESS functions.
How to get value at given row and column?
To get cell content according to the given row and column as shown in the table above, the INDIRECT and ADDRESS functions will help you in this way: The ADDRESS function returns the address of the cell, or we say the cell reference, based on its row and column number. The INDIRECT function will then use the reference to return its content.
- row_num: A numeric value that indicates the row of the value.
- col_num: A numeric value that indicates the column of the value.
To get cell content at the intersection of the 5th row and 2nd column in a worksheet, please copy or enter the formulas below in the cell F6, and press Enter to get the result:
Or, use cell references to make the formula dynamic:
Explanation of the formula
- ADDRESS(F4,F5): The ADDRESS function returns the absolute cell address with the given row number 5 and column number 2 as text, $B$5.
- INDIRECT(ADDRESS(F4,F5)) = INDIRECT($B$5): The INDIRECT function returns the value in the reference, Matt.
Excel ADDRESS function
The ADDRESS function returns the cell address reference as text, based on the given column number and row number. For example, the formula =ADDRESS(1,1) returns $A$1. The ADDRESS function can return relative or absolute address, and, return in A1 or R1C1 style, also, the sheet name can be included in the result.
VLOOKUP with dymanic sheet name
In many cases, you may need to collect data across multiple worksheets for summary. With the combination of the VLOOKUP function and the INDIRECT function, you can create a formula to lookup specific values across worksheets with dynamic sheet name.
Dynamic worksheet or workbook reference
Supposing you have data with the same format across multiple worksheets or workbooks and need to get data from these worksheets or workbooks dynamically into another sheet. The INDIRECT function can help you quickly get it done.
The Best Office Productivity Tools
Would you like to complete your daily work quickly and perfectly? Kutools for Excel brings 300 powerful advanced features (Combine workbooks, sum by color, split cell contents, convert date, and so on...) and save 80% time for you.
- Designed for 1500 work scenarios, helps you solve 80% Excel problems.
- Reduce thousands of keyboard and mouse clicks every day, relieve your tired eyes and hands.
- Become an Excel expert in 3 minutes. No longer need to remember any painful formulas and VBA codes.
- 30-day unlimited free trial. 60-day money back guarantee. Free upgrade and support for 2 years.
- One second to switch between dozens of open documents!
- Reduce hundreds of mouse clicks for you every day, say goodbye to mouse hand.
- Increases your productivity by 50% when viewing and editing multiple documents.
- Brings Efficient Tabs to Office (include Excel), Just Like Chrome, Firefox, And New Internet Explorer.