Replace a specific character in a cell with another
This tutorial explains how to use the SUBSTITUTE function to replace a specific character in a cell with another one.
How to replace a specific character in a cell with another?
Text_string: The text string that containing the specific text you want to replace.
Old_text: The text you want to replace.
New_text: The new text you want to replace the old text with.
The above text arguments can be:
- 1. The text enclosed in quotation marks;
- 2. Or a reference to a cell containing the text.
How to use this formula?
As the below screenshot shown, you want to replace all spaces in each cell of range B5:B9 with dashes, you can do as follows.
1. Select a blank cell to output the result.
2. Enter the below formula into it and press the Enter key. And then drag the Fill Handle to apply the formula to other cells.
Note: The SUBSTITUTE function is case-sensitive. If you need to replace text with another and ignore the case, please use the UPPER function inside the SUBSTITUTE function.
How this formula works?
Here the SUBSTITUTE function replaces all spaces in cell B3 with dashes.
Excel SUBSTITUTE function
The Microsoft Excel SUBSTITUTE function replaces text or characters within a text string with another text or characters.
The Best Office Productivity Tools
Would you like to complete your daily work quickly and perfectly? Kutools for Excel brings 300 powerful advanced features (Combine workbooks, sum by color, split cell contents, convert date, and so on...) and save 80% time for you.
- Designed for 1500 work scenarios, helps you solve 80% Excel problems.
- Reduce thousands of keyboard and mouse clicks every day, relieve your tired eyes and hands.
- Become an Excel expert in 3 minutes. No longer need to remember any painful formulas and VBA codes.
- 30-day unlimited free trial. 60-day money back guarantee. Free upgrade and support for 2 years.
- One second to switch between dozens of open documents!
- Reduce hundreds of mouse clicks for you every day, say goodbye to mouse hand.
- Increases your productivity by 50% when viewing and editing multiple documents.
- Brings Efficient Tabs to Office (include Excel), Just Like Chrome, Firefox, And New Internet Explorer.