Excel IFS function
As we all known, we can use the Nested IF function to test whether multiple conditions are met. But here, the IFS function is much easier to use than the Nested IF function. IFS function is used to test multiple conditions and return a value corresponding to the first TRUE result, if none of the supplied conditions evaluate to TRUE, the function returns the #N/A error.
The syntax for the IFS function in Excel is:
=IFS( logical_test1, value_if_true1, [logical_test2, value_if_true2],... )
- logical_test1: Required. The condition that evaluates to TRUE or FALSE.
- value_if_true1: Required. Returns the result if logical_test1 is TRUE. It can be empty.
- logical_test2: Optional. The second condition that evaluates to TRUE or FALSE.
- value_if_true2: Optional. Returns the second result if logical_test2 is TRUE. It can be empty.
- 1. This IFS function lets you enter up to 127 conditions. And it is applied to Excel 2019, Office 365. All versions earlier than Excel 2019 don’t support this function.
- 2. If no logical tests evaluate to TRUE, it will return the #N/A error.
- 3. A #VALUE error value occurs if the supplied logical_test returns any value other than TRUE or FALSE.
To test multiple conditions, and return corresponding value with first TRUE result.
Example 1: Use IFS functions for identifying the grade based on score
To assign the grade for each student based on their scores as following screenshot shown:
Please apply the below formula, so the grade will be categorized as this: 0-60: grade F; 60-70: grade D; 70-80: grade C; 80-90: grade B; greater or equal to 90: grade A.
Note: You can also use the cell references to replace the static numbers as this:
Example 2: Use IFS functions for calculating commission based on sales
The IFS function can help you to calculate commission amounts based on varying commission rates and cumulative sale totals for each month.
Supposing, you have a table with all salesmen’s total sales and commission rates as following screenshot shown, how could you calculate the commission based on the various commission rate in Excel?
The following formula can give the commission value for each sales personnel, please use this:
- if the sales total is 0-40000: commission= sales * 0;
- if the sales total is 40000-80000: commission= sales * 2%;
- if the sales total is 80000-100000: commission= sales * 3.5%;
- if the sales total is greater or equal to 100000: commission= sales * 7%;
Tips: The IFS function will get #N/A error, if none of the conditions evaluate to TRUE. If you want to replace the #N/A error by another meaningful value, you should add an ELSE condition at the end of the IFS function.
Normally, use the IFS function:
=IFS(B2="Apple","Fruit", B2="Orange","Fruit", B2="Potato","Veg",B2="Steak","Meat", B2="Chicken","Meat")
Use the IFS function with ELSE condition:
=IFS(B2="Apple","Fruit", B2="Orange","Fruit", B2="Potato","Veg",B2="Steak","Meat", B2="Chicken","Meat", "TRUE","Others")
Note: In the above formula, the addition of the final condition, "TRUE","Others" will return the value "Others" when none of the conditions in the IFS function evaluate to TRUE.
The Best Office Productivity Tools
Would you like to complete your daily work quickly and perfectly? Kutools for Excel brings
300 powerful advanced features (Combine workbooks, sum by color, split cell contents, convert date, and so on...) and save
80% time for you.
- Designed for
1500 work scenarios, helps you solve
80% Excel problems.
- Reduce thousands of keyboard and mouse clicks every day, relieve your tired eyes and hands.
- Become an Excel expert in 3 minutes. No longer need to remember any painful formulas and VBA codes.
30-day unlimited free trial. 60-day money back guarantee. Free upgrade and support for 2 years.
- One second to switch between dozens of open documents!
- Reduce hundreds of mouse clicks for you every day, say goodbye to mouse hand.
- Increases your productivity by
50% when viewing and editing multiple documents.
- Brings Efficient Tabs to Office (include Excel), Just Like Chrome, Firefox, And New Internet Explorer.