How to quickly merge adjacent rows with same data in Excel?
Supposing you have a worksheet with same data in the adjacent rows, and now you want to merge the same cells into one cell, so that the data looks neat and beautiful. How do you merge adjacent rows with same data quickly and conveniently? Today, I will introduce you some quick way to solve this problem.
Merge adjacent rows of same data with VBA code
Of course you can merge the same data with Merge & Center command, but if there are hundreds of cells need to be merged, this method will be time-consuming. So the following VBA code can help you merge the same data easily.
1. Hold down the ALT + F11 keys, and it opens the Microsoft Visual Basic for Applications window.
2. Click Insert > Module, and paste the following macro in the Modulewindow.
Dim Rng As Range, xCell As Range
Dim xRows As Integer
xTitleId = "KutoolsforExcel"
Set WorkRng = Application.Selection
Set WorkRng = Application.InputBox("Range", xTitleId, WorkRng.Address, Type:=8)
Application.ScreenUpdating = False
Application.DisplayAlerts = False
xRows = WorkRng.Rows.Count
For Each Rng In WorkRng.Columns
For i = 1 To xRows - 1
For j = i + 1 To xRows
If Rng.Cells(i, 1).Value <> Rng.Cells(j, 1).Value Then
WorkRng.Parent.Range(Rng.Cells(i, 1), Rng.Cells(j - 1, 1)).Merge
i = j - 1
Application.DisplayAlerts = True
Application.ScreenUpdating = True
3. Then press the F5 key to run this code, a dialog is displayed on the screen for selecting a range to work with. See screenshot:
4. Then click OK, the same data in column A will be merged together. See screenshot:
Merge adjacent rows of same data with Kutools for Excel
With the Merge same cells utility of Kutools for Excel, you can quickly merge the same values in multiple columns with one click.
|Kutools for Excel : with more than 300 handy Excel add-ins, free to try with no limitation in 30 days.
After installing Kutools for Excel, you can do as follows:
1. Select the columns that you want to merge the adjacent rows with same data.
2. Click Kutools > Merge & Split > Merge Same Cells, see screenshot:
3. And then the same data in the selected columns have been merged in one cell. See screenshot:
Click to Download Kutools for Excel and free trial Now!
To know more about this, please visit this Merge Same Cells feature.
Demo:Merge same cells into one cell or unmerge to fill duplicate values:
The Best Office Productivity Tools
Kutools for Excel Solves Most of Your Problems, and Increases Your Productivity by
- Reuse: Quickly insert complex formulas, charts and anything that you have used before; Encrypt Cells with password; Create Mailing List and send emails...
- Super Formula Bar (easily edit multiple lines of text and formula); Reading Layout (easily read and edit large numbers of cells); Paste to Filtered Range...
- Merge Cells/Rows/Columns without losing Data; Split Cells Content; Combine Duplicate Rows/Columns... Prevent Duplicate Cells; Compare Ranges...
- Select Duplicate or Unique Rows; Select Blank Rows (all cells are empty); Super Find and Fuzzy Find in Many Workbooks; Random Select...
- Exact Copy Multiple Cells without changing formula reference; Auto Create References to Multiple Sheets; Insert Bullets, Check Boxes and more...
- Extract Text, Add Text, Remove by Position, Remove Space; Create and Print Paging Subtotals; Convert Between Cells Content and Comments...
- Super Filter (save and apply filter schemes to other sheets); Advanced Sort by month/week/day, frequency and more; Special Filter by bold, italic...
- Combine Workbooks and WorkSheets; Merge Tables based on key columns; Split Data into Multiple Sheets; Batch Convert xls, xlsx and PDF...
- More than
300 powerful features. Supports Office/Excel
2007-2019 and 365. Supports all languages. Easy deploying in your enterprise or organization. Full features
30-day free trial. 60-day money back guarantee.
Office Tab Brings Tabbed interface to Office, and Make Your Work Much Easier
- Enable tabbed editing and reading in Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher, Access, Visio and Project.
- Open and create multiple documents in new tabs of the same window, rather than in new windows.
- Increases your productivity by
50%, and reduces hundreds of mouse clicks for you every day!