How to quickly insert subtotals in Excel?
Supposing, you have large rows of data, sometimes, you want to insert subtotal formulas and grand totals for a column or columns, so that you can get valuable information. The Subtotal function in Excel can help you insert the SUM, AVERAGE, COUNT, MIN, MAX and other formulas that you need.
Maybe, sometimes, you need to insert the subtotals at the bottom of each page, but the Subtotal function just only can insert the subtotals for the category data not for the entire page data. Both of the two subtotals are useful for us. Today, I will introduce these two types of subtotals for you.
- Reuse Anything: Add the most used or complex formulas, charts and anything else to your favorites, and quickly reuse them in the future.
- More than 20 text features: Extract Number from Text String; Extract or Remove Part of Texts; Convert Numbers and Currencies to English Words.
- Merge Tools: Multiple Workbooks and Sheets into One; Merge Multiple Cells/Rows/Columns Without Losing Data; Merge Duplicate Rows and Sum.
- Split Tools: Split Data into Multiple Sheets Based on Value; One Workbook to Multiple Excel, PDF or CSV Files; One Column to Multiple Columns.
- Paste Skipping Hidden/Filtered Rows; Count And Sum by Background Color; Send Personalized Emails to Multiple Recipients in Bulk.
- Super Filter: Create advanced filter schemes and apply to any sheets; Sort by week, day, frequency and more; Filter by bold, formulas, comment...
- More than 300 powerful features; Works with Office 2007-2019 and 365; Supports all languages; Easy deploying in your enterprise or organization.
Supposing you have the following data as the screenshot shown, let’s look at how to use the Subtotal function of Excel.
1. Select the range that you want to insert the category subtotal.
2. Click Data > Subtotal, see screenshot:
3. In the Subtotal dialog box, please specify the following option:
- (1.) From At each change in drop down list, select the column you want your subtotals based on, in this example, I select Name.
- (2.) Select what type of subtotal formula you want to insert from Use function option, I choose the Sum function.
- (3.) Select which column you want subtotal inserted from Add subtotal to list box, I select sales volume($) to sum the values.
- (4.) If you’ve already inserted subtotals but you want to change them, you can check Replace current subtotals option;
- Page break between groups option can help you to insert page breaks for the category subtotals automatically.
- Summary below data: This inserts the subtotals at the bottom of each change in data. If you don’t check this option, the subtotals will be inserted at the top.
4. After specify the settings, click OK. You will get the following result:
Supposing you have hundreds rows of data, and you want to automatically insert subtotals of each column at the bottom of each printed page. Of course, you can insert the subtotal formulas as you need manually at the correct position. But this will tedious and time consuming.
With Kutools for Excel’s Paging Subtotals, you can easily insert the subtotals at the bottom of each page at once.
After installing Kutools for Excel, please do as follows:
1．Click Enterprise > Paging Subtotals, see screenshot:
2. In the Paging Subtotals dialog box, check the heading of column that you want to insert subtotal for it, if you don’t want to insert subtotal for some specific columns, please uncheck them. And then click on the function list to select the subtotal functions, such as sum, count, average, max, min, product and count numbers as your need. See screenshot:
3. Then click OK, two new rows of subtotals have been inserted for each page at the end of the data. See screenshots:
You are guest ( Sign Up? )
or post as a guest, but your post won't be published automatically.
- To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 21 days agoSir, 17th July,2020.I appreciate your efforts by clearly and deeply showing the article "SUB TOTAL".I know that it is not so easy to drill the topic. But you have done this.Thanking you very much and eagerly await such notes in near future too.Kanhaiyalal Newaskar.
- To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 5 years agoThis content was really helpful. Thanks for sharing!