How to quickly insert subtotals in Excel?
Supposing, you have large rows of data, sometimes, you want to insert subtotal formulas and grand totals for a column or columns, so that you can get valuable information. The Subtotal function in Excel can help you insert the SUM, AVERAGE, COUNT, MIN, MAX and other formulas that you need.
Maybe, sometimes, you need to insert the subtotals at the bottom of each page, but the Subtotal function just only can insert the subtotals for the category data not for the entire page data. Both of the two subtotals are useful for us. Today, I will introduce these two types of subtotals for you.
Recommended Productivity Tools for Excel
Office Tab: Bring powerful tabs to Office (include Excel), just like Chrome, Safari, Firefox and Internet Explorer. Save you half the time, and reduce thousands of mouse clicks for you. 30-day Unlimited Free Trial
Kutools for Excel: Save 71% of your time and solve 82% Excel problems for you. 300+ advanced tools designed for 1500+ work scenario, make Excel much easy and increase productivity immediately.60-day Unlimited Free Trial
Supposing you have the following data as the screenshot shown, let’s look at how to use the Subtotal function of Excel.
1. Select the range that you want to insert the category subtotal.
2. Click Data > Subtotal, see screenshot:
3. In the Subtotal dialog box, please specify the following option:
- (1.) From At each change in drop down list, select the column you want your subtotals based on, in this example, I select Name.
- (2.) Select what type of subtotal formula you want to insert from Use function option, I choose the Sum function.
- (3.) Select which column you want subtotal inserted from Add subtotal to list box, I select sales volume($) to sum the values.
- (4.) If you’ve already inserted subtotals but you want to change them, you can check Replace current subtotals option;
- Page break between groups option can help you to insert page breaks for the category subtotals automatically.
- Summary below data: This inserts the subtotals at the bottom of each change in data. If you don’t check this option, the subtotals will be inserted at the top.
4. After specify the settings, click OK. You will get the following result:
Supposing you have hundreds rows of data, and you want to automatically insert subtotals of each column at the bottom of each printed page. Of course, you can insert the subtotal formulas as you need manually at the correct position. But this will tedious and time consuming.
With Kutools for Excel’s Paging Subtotals, you can easily insert the subtotals at the bottom of each page at once.
After installing Kutools for Excel, please do as follows:
1．Click Enterprise > Paging Subtotals, see screenshot:
2. In the Paging Subtotals dialog box, check the heading of column that you want to insert subtotal for it, if you don’t want to insert subtotal for some specific columns, please uncheck them. And then click on the function list to select the subtotal functions, such as sum, count, average, max, min, product and count numbers as your need. See screenshot:
3. Then click OK, two new rows of subtotals have been inserted for each page at the end of the data. See screenshots: