How to limit scroll area of a worksheet in Excel?
When we use a workbook, sometimes, we want to restrict scrolling the worksheet. It means, the worksheet will be fixed on a range of cells and not scroll beyond this range. Are there any quick tricks for us to limit the scroll area of a worksheet?
You can enter the cell address manually to disable the scroll area, please do with the following steps:
1. Activate the worksheet that you want to limit the scroll area.
2. Hold down Alt + F11 keys to open the Microsoft Visual Basic for Applications window, and then click View > Properties Window, see screenshot:
3. And in the Properties Window list, enter a range address in the ScrollArea property box, see screenshot:
4. Then close this window, and you will be restricted to move to or select the cells outside the range you are specified.
1. The cell address you enter must be a contiguous range.
2. If you want to cancel the scroll area limit, you just need to delete the range address from the ScrollArea property box in above step3.
Sometimes, you need to set the scroll area limit for all worksheets in your workbook of the used range. In this case, the following VBA code can help you to limit all the worksheets scroll area at once.
1. Hold down the ALT + F11 keys, and it opens the Microsoft Visual Basic for Applications window.
2. Click Insert > Module, and paste the following code in the Module Window.
VBA code: Limit scroll area of all worksheets
Sub SetAllScrollAreas() 'Update 20140326 Dim ws As Worksheet For Each ws In Application.ActiveWorkbook.Worksheets ws.ScrollArea = ws.UsedRange.Address Next End Sub
3. Then press F5 key to run this code, it will set the scroll area for each worksheet in your current workbook which based on the used range.
Note: If you want to remove the scroll area limit of all the worksheets, you can apply below VBA code:
VBA code: Remove scroll area limit of all worksheets
Sub SetAllScrollAreas() 'Update 20140326 Dim ws As Worksheet For Each ws In Application.ActiveWorkbook.Worksheets ws.ScrollArea = "" Next End Sub
If you want a more convenient way to solve this task, here is a handy tool-Kutools for Excel, with its Set Scroll Area function, you can limit your specified range with only one click.
After installing Kutools for Excel, please do with the following steps:
1. Highlight the range cells which you want to limit the scroll area.
2. Click Kutools > Show /Hide > Set Scroll Area, see screenshot:
And only your selected cells are visible, others are hidden and disable to view or edit.
Note: To cancel the scroll area limitation, you should click Kutools > Show / Hide > Unhide All Ranges, see screenshot:
For more detailed information about Set Scroll Area, go to Set Scroll Area.
Best Office Productivity Tools
Supercharge Your Spreadsheets： Experience Efficiency Like Never Before with Kutools for Excel
Kutools for Excel boasts over 300 features, ensuring that what you need is just a click away...
Supports Office/Excel 2007-2021 & newer, including 365 | Available in 44 languages | Enjoy a full-featured 30-day free trial.
Office Tab Brings Tabbed interface to Office, and Make Your Work Much Easier
- Enable tabbed editing and reading in Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher, Access, Visio and Project.
- Open and create multiple documents in new tabs of the same window, rather than in new windows.
- Increases your productivity by 50%, and reduces hundreds of mouse clicks for you every day!