How to limit scroll area of a worksheet in Excel?
When we use a workbook, sometimes, we want to restrict scrolling the worksheet. It means, the worksheet will be fixed on a range of cells and not scroll beyond this range. Are there any quick tricks for us to limit the scroll area of a worksheet?
- Reuse Anything: Add the most used or complex formulas, charts and anything else to your favorites, and quickly reuse them in the future.
- More than 20 text features: Extract Number from Text String; Extract or Remove Part of Texts; Convert Numbers and Currencies to English Words.
- Merge Tools: Multiple Workbooks and Sheets into One; Merge Multiple Cells/Rows/Columns Without Losing Data; Merge Duplicate Rows and Sum.
- Split Tools: Split Data into Multiple Sheets Based on Value; One Workbook to Multiple Excel, PDF or CSV Files; One Column to Multiple Columns.
- Paste Skipping Hidden/Filtered Rows; Count And Sum by Background Color; Send Personalized Emails to Multiple Recipients in Bulk.
- Super Filter: Create advanced filter schemes and apply to any sheets; Sort by week, day, frequency and more; Filter by bold, formulas, comment...
- More than 300 powerful features; Works with Office 2007-2019 and 365; Supports all languages; Easy deploying in your enterprise or organization.
You can enter the cell address manually to disable the scroll area, please do with the following steps:
1. Activate the worksheet that you want to limit the scroll area.
2. Hold down Alt + F11 keys to open the Microsoft Visual Basic for Applications window, and then click View > Properties Window, see screenshot:
3. And in the Properties Window list, enter a range address in the ScrollArea property box, see screenshot:
4. Then close this window, and you will be restricted to move to or select the cells outside the range you are specified.
1. The cell address you enter must be a contiguous range.
2. If you want to cancel the scroll area limit, you just need to delete the range address from the ScrollArea property box in above step3.
Sometimes, you need to set the scroll area limit for all worksheets in your workbook of the used range. In this case, the following VBA code can help you to limit all the worksheets scroll area at once.
1. Hold down the ALT + F11 keys, and it opens the Microsoft Visual Basic for Applications window.
2. Click Insert > Module, and paste the following code in the Module Window.
VBA code: Limit scroll area of all worksheets
Sub SetAllScrollAreas() 'Update 20140326 Dim ws As Worksheet For Each ws In Application.ActiveWorkbook.Worksheets ws.ScrollArea = ws.UsedRange.Address Next End Sub
3. Then press F5 key to run this code, it will set the scroll area for each worksheet in your current workbook which based on the used range.
Note: If you want to remove the scroll area limit of all the worksheets, you can apply below VBA code:
VBA code: Remove scroll area limit of all worksheets
Sub SetAllScrollAreas() 'Update 20140326 Dim ws As Worksheet For Each ws In Application.ActiveWorkbook.Worksheets ws.ScrollArea = "" Next End Sub
If you want a more convenient way to solve this task, here is a handy tool-Kutools for Excel, with its Set Scroll Area function, you can limit your specified range with only one click.
After installing Kutools for Excel, please do with the following steps:
1. Highlight the range cells which you want to limit the scroll area.
2. Click Kutools > Show /Hide > Set Scroll Area, see screenshot:
And only your selected cells are visible, others are hidden and disable to view or edit.
Note: To cancel the scroll area limitation, you should click Kutools > Show / Hide > Unhide All Ranges, see screenshot:
For more detailed information about Set Scroll Area, go to Set Scroll Area.
You are guest ( Sign Up? )
or post as a guest, but your post won't be published automatically.
- To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 4 years agoDid you save it as macro enabled file or just standard excel xlsx file?
- To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 5 years agoHi. If I set the scroll area limit (a1:g22) it limits the scrolling. But if Id save the work book, close the file and then re-open the file, the scroll area limit code is removed. Why is that?