How to extract decimal value from string in Excel?
This tutorial will tell you how to extract decimal value only from a string in Excel.
There are two formulas that can help you to extract decimal value from a string, choose one of them as you need.
The formula that is irrespective of the sign of values:
Select a cell and type this formula =ABS(A1-TRUNC(A1)) (A1 is the cell you want to extract decimal value from) into the Formula Bar, and then press Enter key. Keep selecting the first result cell, drag fill handle down to get all results. You can see the decimal values are extracted only without sign as below screenshot shown.
The formula that reflect the sign of values:
Select a cell and type this formula =A1-TRUNC(A1) (A1 is the cell you want to extract decimal value from) into the Formula Bar, and then press Enter key. Keep selecting the first result cell, and drag fill handle down to get all results. You can see the decimal values are extracted with sign as below screenshot shown.
Easily extract decimal numbers from a selected range in Excel:
Kutools for Excel's Extract Text utility helps you easily extract all decimal values from a specified range as the below demo shown.
Download and try it now! (30-day free trail)
There is a VBA that can mass extract decimal values with the sign only from strings.
1. Press Alt + F11 to open the Microsoft Visual Basic for Applications window.
2. In the pop-up window, click Insert > Module, then paste the following VBA code into the module.
VBA: Extract decimal values only
Sub GetNumber() Dim xSRg As Range Dim xDRg As Range Dim xPRg As Range Dim xSRgArea As Range Dim xRgVal As String Dim xAddress As String Dim I As Long Dim K As Long Dim KK As Long On Error Resume Next xAddress = Application.ActiveWindow.RangeSelection.Address Set xSRg = Application.InputBox("Please select range:", "KuTools For Excel", xAddress, , , , , 8) If xSRg Is Nothing Then Exit Sub Set xDRg = Application.InputBox("Select single cell:", "KuTools For Excel", , , , , , 8) If xDRg Is Nothing Then Exit Sub Set xDRg = xDRg(1) For I = 1 To xSRg.Areas.Count Set xSRgArea = xSRg.Areas.Item(I) For K = 1 To xSRgArea.Count xRgVal = xSRgArea(K).Value KK = xSRgArea(K).Row - xSRg.Row If IsNumeric(xRgVal) Then xDRg.Offset(KK) = xRgVal - VBA.Fix(xRgVal) End If Next Next End Sub
3. Press the F5 key to run the code. Then a Kutools for Excel dialog box pops up, please select the range you want to extract decimal values only from, and click the OK button. See screenshot:
4. Then another Kutools for Excel dialog box pops up, you need to select a cell for locating the extracted decimal values. See screenshot:
You can see only the decimal values of specified numbers are extracted and placed on a certain range as below scrrenshot shown.
If you don’t like the formula and VBA methods, here I introduce you a handy tool – Kutools for Excel. With its Extract Text utility, you can easily extract all decimal value from a range in Excel.
Before applying Kutools for Excel, please download and install it firstly.
1. Select the range with decimal you want to extract, and then click Kutools > Text > Extract Text. See screenshot:
2. In the Extract Text dialog box, type .* into the Text box, and then click the Add button. Finally click the OK button. See screenshot:
3. In another popping up Extract Text dialog box, select a blank cell for locating the result, and then click the OK button.
Then all decimal values in selected range are extracted immediately. See screenshot:
Best Office Productivity Tools
Supercharge Your Excel Skills with Kutools for Excel, and Experience Efficiency Like Never Before. Kutools for Excel Offers Over 300 Advanced Features to Boost Productivity and Save Time. Click Here to Get The Feature You Need The Most...
Office Tab Brings Tabbed interface to Office, and Make Your Work Much Easier
- Enable tabbed editing and reading in Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher, Access, Visio and Project.
- Open and create multiple documents in new tabs of the same window, rather than in new windows.
- Increases your productivity by 50%, and reduces hundreds of mouse clicks for you every day!