How to disable or stop auto fill feature in Excel?
In Excel, Auto Fill feature is useful for us to fill a list of same values or a series of sequential values. Normally, it is visible at the bottom-right corner of a selection, but sometimes, you want to turn off it to avoid some accidents as following screenshot shown. Have you any ideas to stop applying this dragging and dropping feature in Excel?
|Enable Auto Fill feature||Disable Auto Fill feature|
Get into the Options dialog box to turn off the auto fill feature, you can do as follows:
1. Click File > Options in Excel 2010/2013, or click Office button > Excel Options in Excel 2007.
2. In the Excel Options dialog box, click Advanced from the left pane, and uncheck Enable fill handle and cell drag-and-drop option under Editing options section in the right pane, see screenshot:
3. Then click OK button to finish the setting, and you can’t apply the fill handle feature from now on.
Here is also a simple VBA code can help you to disable the auto fill feature.
1. Hold down the Alt + F11 keys in Excel, and it opens the Microsoft Visual Basic for Applications window.
2. Then click Insert > Module, and paste the following macro in the Module Window.
VBA code: Disable the auto fill feature in Excel
Sub Disable_Cell_Drag_Drop() Application.CellDragAndDrop = False End Sub
3. Then press F5 key to run this code, and the dragging and dropping feature is disabled now.
Note: If you want to enable the auto fill again, please use the following code:
VBA code: Enable the auto fill feature in Excel
Sub Disable_Cell_Drag_Drop() Application.CellDragAndDrop = True End Sub
Best Office Productivity Tools
Supercharge Your Excel Skills with Kutools for Excel, and Experience Efficiency Like Never Before. Kutools for Excel Offers Over 300 Advanced Features to Boost Productivity and Save Time. Click Here to Get The Feature You Need The Most...
Office Tab Brings Tabbed interface to Office, and Make Your Work Much Easier
- Enable tabbed editing and reading in Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher, Access, Visio and Project.
- Open and create multiple documents in new tabs of the same window, rather than in new windows.
- Increases your productivity by 50%, and reduces hundreds of mouse clicks for you every day!