How to count data by group in Excel?
In Excel, counting the data in a range may be easy for most of users, but how about counting the data in each group? There is no a direct way or formula to count data by group, but I can tell you a good way to quickly count data by group in Excel.
If you want to count the data shown as below by group, you need to insert a pivot table.
1. Select the data range, and click Insert > Pivot Table > Pivot Table. See screenshot:
2. And in the Create Pivot Table dialog, you can specify to create it in a new worksheet or the existing worksheet. And if you check Existing Worksheet, you need to select a cell to place the pivot table. See screenshot:
3. Click OK. And in the PivotTable Filed List pane, drag the header of column to Row Labels and Values section. See screenshot:
Now the counting of each group are shown in the pivot table.
Best Office Productivity Tools
Supercharge Your Spreadsheets： Experience Efficiency Like Never Before with Kutools for Excel
Kutools for Excel boasts over 300 features, ensuring that what you need is just a click away...
Supports Office/Excel 2007-2021 & newer, including 365 | Available in 44 languages | Enjoy a full-featured 30-day free trial.
Office Tab Brings Tabbed interface to Office, and Make Your Work Much Easier
- Enable tabbed editing and reading in Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher, Access, Visio and Project.
- Open and create multiple documents in new tabs of the same window, rather than in new windows.
- Increases your productivity by 50%, and reduces hundreds of mouse clicks for you every day!