How to quickly get address of named range in Excel?
Range name is a common feature that we usually used in our workbook, but, here, I wonder if there was a way to show the full address of a named range. For example, I have a named range called “domains” in a worksheet, and the range address would be $A$2:$A$9. How could I quickly get the address of a ranged name in Excel?
Recommended Productivity Tools for Excel
Office Tab: Bring powerful tabs to Office (include Excel), just like Chrome, Safari, Firefox and Internet Explorer. Save you half the time, and reduce thousands of mouse clicks for you. 30-day Unlimited Free Trial
Kutools for Excel: Save 71% of your time and solve 82% Excel problems for you. 300+ advanced tools designed for 1500+ work scenario, make Excel much easy and increase productivity immediately.60-day Unlimited Free Trial
Supposing, I have a range data which has the range name “domains” as following screenshot shown, and now, I can extract the address A2:A9 of the range name as following steps:
1. Enter this long formula =ADDRESS(ROW(domains),COLUMN(domains))&":"&ADDRESS(ROW(domains)+ROWS(domains)-1,COLUMN(domains)+COLUMNS(domains)-1) into a blank cell, see screenshot:
Note: In the above formula, domains is the range name that I want to use, you can change it to your own range name.
2. Then press Enter key, and you will get the cell address of the ranged name.
If you want to get the address of the range name including the sheet name, the following VBA code can do you a favor.
1. Hold down the ALT + F11 keys to open the Microsoft Visual Basic for Applications window.
2. Click Insert > Module, and paste the following code in the Module Window.
VBA code: get address of ranged name in Excel
Function NameRefersTo(ByVal sName As String) As String 'Update 20140904 On Error Resume Next NameRefersTo = Application.ActiveWorkbook.Names(sName).RefersTo End Function
3. Then save and close this code, go back to your worksheet, in a blank cell, please enter this formula =Namerefersto("domains") into a blank cell, see screenshot:
Note: In the above formula, domains is the range name that you want to use, you can change it to your need, and you must put the name between in quotes.
4. Press Enter key, and it returns the sheet name with the address for your specified ranged name.