How to group date by month/year/quarter in pivot table in Excel?
In Excel, if the data in a pivot table includes date, and have you tried to group the data by month, quarter or year? Now this tutorial will tell you how to group date by month/year/quarter in pivot table in Excel.
Recommended Productivity Tools for Excel
Office Tab: Bring powerful tabs to Office (include Excel), just like Chrome, Safari, Firefox and Internet Explorer. Save you half the time, and reduce thousands of mouse clicks for you. 30-day Unlimited Free Trial
Kutools for Excel: Save 71% of your time and solve 82% Excel problems for you. 300+ advanced tools designed for 1500+ work scenario, make Excel much easy and increase productivity immediately.60-day Unlimited Free Trial
There is a Group function in pivot table, you can apply it to group data as your need.
1. Select the data range you need, and click Insert > PivotTable > PivotTable. See screenshot:
2. Check the option you need in the Choose where you want the PivotTable report to be placed section. See screenshot:
3. Click OK to create the pivot table. And in the PivotTable Field List, drag the field to the areas you need, and make sure the Date label is in Row Labels list. See screenshot:
4. Then go to the pivot table, right click anywhere under the Row Labels head, and select Group. See screenshot:
5. In the Grouping dialog, select the grouping criteria from the By list. Here I select Month. See screenshot:
6. Click OK to apply the function. Now you can see the data is grouped by month.
Recommended Productivity Tools
You are guest ( Sign Up? )
or post as a guest, but your post won't be published automatically.
To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 4 months agoI was searching on how to do that, thanks
To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 5 months agoThank you so much!!! :D
To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 9 months agoThank you very much...help me a lot!!!!
To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 1 years agoI have date wise sales data from 01-01-2015 to 0-04-2018. How can i group it as
1st to 10th of every month
11th to 20th of every month
21st to 31st of every month
To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 1 years agoThanks, great help. Now it groups values from January 2018 in the sale column as January 2017. Is there a way to have the year included in the grouping?