How to circle around a cell in Excel?
When you edit a worksheet, you may want to draw a circle around a cell to show it obviously just as below screenshot shown. Now I will introduce some tricks for you to circle around a cell in Excel.
Circle around a cell with Oval shape
Circle around a cell with Oval shape
To circle around a cell, you need to insert an oval shape.
1. Click Insert > Shapes, and select Oval shape from the Basic Shapes section in the list. See screenshot:
2. Draw the oval to circle around the cell you need. See screenshot:
3. Right click at the shape and select Format Shape from context menu.
4. In the Format Shape dialog (or Format Shape pane), click Fill tab, and drag the arrow of Transparency to the right to make sure 100% displaying in the textbox. See screenshot:
5. Close the dialog. Now you can see there is a circle around the cell.
Tip: In default, the shape will move and resize with the cell.
Circle around a cell with VBA
If you want to quickly circle around a cell, you can use the VBA code.
1. Select the cell you want to circle and press Alt + F11 keys together to open the Microsoft Visual Basic for Applications window.
2. Click Insert > Module and copy the follow VBA code to the popped out window.
VBA: Circle around a cell.
Sub DrawCircle() 'Updateby20141105 Dim Arng As Range Dim WorkRng As Range Set WorkRng = Application.Selection For Each Arng In WorkRng.Areas With Arng x = Arng.Height * 0.1 y = Arng.Width * 0.1 Application.ActiveSheet.Ovals.Add Top: = .Top - x, Left: = .Left - y, _ Height: = .Height + 2 * x, Width: = .Width + 1.5 * y With Application.ActiveSheet.Ovals(ActiveSheet.Ovals.Count) .Interior.ColorIndex = xlNone .ShapeRange.Line.Weight = 1.25 End With End With Next WorkRng.Select End Sub
3. Press F5 key or click Run button to run the VBA code, now the selected cell is circled.
(1) If you select multiple adjacent cells in the first step, this VBA macro will circle around these cells together.
(2) If you select multiple non-adjacent cells in the first step, this VBA macro will circle around each cell individually.
The Best Office Productivity Tools
Kutools for Excel Solves Most of Your Problems, and Increases Your Productivity by 80%
- Reuse: Quickly insert complex formulas, charts and anything that you have used before; Encrypt Cells with password; Create Mailing List and send emails...
- Super Formula Bar (easily edit multiple lines of text and formula); Reading Layout (easily read and edit large numbers of cells); Paste to Filtered Range...
- Merge Cells/Rows/Columns without losing Data; Split Cells Content; Combine Duplicate Rows/Columns... Prevent Duplicate Cells; Compare Ranges...
- Select Duplicate or Unique Rows; Select Blank Rows (all cells are empty); Super Find and Fuzzy Find in Many Workbooks; Random Select...
- Exact Copy Multiple Cells without changing formula reference; Auto Create References to Multiple Sheets; Insert Bullets, Check Boxes and more...
- Extract Text, Add Text, Remove by Position, Remove Space; Create and Print Paging Subtotals; Convert Between Cells Content and Comments...
- Super Filter (save and apply filter schemes to other sheets); Advanced Sort by month/week/day, frequency and more; Special Filter by bold, italic...
- Combine Workbooks and WorkSheets; Merge Tables based on key columns; Split Data into Multiple Sheets; Batch Convert xls, xlsx and PDF...
- More than 300 powerful features. Supports Office / Excel 2007-2021 and 365. Supports all languages. Easy deploying in your enterprise or organization. Full features 30-day free trial. 60-day money back guarantee.
Office Tab Brings Tabbed interface to Office, and Make Your Work Much Easier
- Enable tabbed editing and reading in Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher, Access, Visio and Project.
- Open and create multiple documents in new tabs of the same window, rather than in new windows.
- Increases your productivity by 50%, and reduces hundreds of mouse clicks for you every day!