How to quickly close all opened workbooks?
You may always work on multiple Excel workbooks, and after a day work, you want to close all opened workbook windows at once. Normally, you can close each file separately, but this will be time consuming and troublesome when there are dozens of opened Excel files. Is there an easier way to close all of them immediately?
1. With all the workbooks opening, hold down the Shift key on the keyboard, and then click the Close button at the top right of the Excel title bar, see screenshot:
2. And then a prompt box will appear to ask whether you want to save changes to the active workbook, see screenshot:
3. Click Save All to save changes of all workbooks and close them all.
Note: This method is applied to Excel 2007, 2010 and 2013.
1. In Excel 2007 and 2010, there is an Exit command can help you close all opened workbooks and exit Excel window, please click File > Exit, then click Save All in the popped out prompt box to save all changes and close all Excel windows. See screenshots:
2. If you have Excel 2013, the Exit command is no longer stay there, so you can use the Close All Windows command on the taskbar, point to the Excel icon in the taskbar, and right-click on it, then click Close all windows in the pop out menu, see screenshot:
If you have installed Office Tab in your computer, it helps you view and edit multiple files within a single tabbed window, to know more about Office Tab and want to down load it please click here.
After installed Office Tab, and open multiple workbooks, you will see all the workbooks name have been displayed within a single tabbed window as following screenshot shown:
Then you can click the Close button at the top right of the Excel title bar, and a prompt box will pop out to remind you if you want to Close All Tabs or just Current Tab, select your needed option to click, see screenshots:
If you click Close All Tabs, all opened workbooks are closed at once.
Note: You can also right click one workbook name in the tab bar, and choose Close All command from the context menu, and all the opened workbooks have been closed, but leave the Excel opened.
Best Office Productivity Tools
Supercharge Your Excel Skills with Kutools for Excel, and Experience Efficiency Like Never Before. Kutools for Excel Offers Over 300 Advanced Features to Boost Productivity and Save Time. Click Here to Get The Feature You Need The Most...
Office Tab Brings Tabbed interface to Office, and Make Your Work Much Easier
- Enable tabbed editing and reading in Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher, Access, Visio and Project.
- Open and create multiple documents in new tabs of the same window, rather than in new windows.
- Increases your productivity by 50%, and reduces hundreds of mouse clicks for you every day!