How to vlookup and return the last matching value in Excel?
If you have a list of items which are repeated many times, and now, you just want to know the last matching value with your specified data. For example, I have the following data range, there are duplicate product names in column A but different names in column C, and I want to return the last matching item Cheryl of the product Apple as following screenshot shown:
To vlookup and return the certain value you need, the vlookup function will be first in your mind, but, with the vlookup function you just return the first matching value not the last. Here, I will talk about some other formulas to deal with this task.
Please enter this formula into your specified cell and then drag the fill handle down to the cells to get the last corresponding value as follows:
1. If there is no data in the last matching cell, you will get a result of 0, but that is not your need, you want the last non-zero value, in this case, you should use the following formula:
2. In the above formulas, A2:A12 indicates the column that you are looking for, E2 is the value which you want to return its relative information and C2:C12 is the list that contains the value you want to return.
3. The value you are looking for is not case sensitive.
If you have Kutools for Excel, with its LOOKUP from Bottom to Top feature, you can quickly solve this task no longer need to remembering any formula.
After installing Kutools for Excel, please do as this:
1. Click Kutools > Super LOOKUP > LOOKUP from Bottom to Top, see screenshot:
2. In the LOOKUP from Bottom to Top dialog box, please do the following operations:
- Select the lookup value cells and output cells from the Lookup values and Output Range section;
- Then, specify the corresponding items from the Data range section.
3. Then, click OK button, all the last matching items have been returned at once, see screenshot:
More relative articles:
- Vlookup Values Across Multiple Worksheets
- In excel, we can easily apply the vlookup function to return the matching values in a single table of a worksheet. But, have you ever considered that how to vlookup value across multiple worksheet? Supposing I have the following three worksheets with range of data, and now, I want to get part of the corresponding values based on the criteria from these three worksheets.
- Use Vlookup Exact And Approximate Match In Excel
- In Excel, vlookup is one of the most important functions for us to search a value in the left-most column of the table and return the value in the same row of the range. But, do you apply the vlookup function successfully in Excel? This article, I will talk about how to use the vlookup function in Excel.
- Vlookup To Return Blank Or Specific Value Instead Of 0 Or N/A
- Normally, when you apply the vlookup function to return the corresponding value, if your matching cell is blank, it will return 0, and if your matching value is not found, you will get an error #N/A value as below screenshot shown. Instead of displaying the 0 or #N/A value, how can you make it show blank cell or other specific text value?
- Vlookup And Return Whole / Entire Row Of A Matched Value In Excel
- Normally, you can vlookup and return a matching value from a range of data by using the Vlookup function, but, have you ever tried to find and return the whole row of data based on specific criteria as following screenshot shown.
- Vlookup And Concatenate Multiple Corresponding Values In Excel
- As we all known, the Vlookup function in Excel can help us to lookup a value and return the corresponding data in another column, but in general, it can only get the first relative value if there are multiple matching data. In this article, I will talk about how to vlookup and concatenate multiple corresponding values in only one cell or a vertical list.
Best Office Productivity Tools
Supercharge Your Excel Skills with Kutools for Excel, and Experience Efficiency Like Never Before. Kutools for Excel Offers Over 300 Advanced Features to Boost Productivity and Save Time. Click Here to Get The Feature You Need The Most...
Office Tab Brings Tabbed interface to Office, and Make Your Work Much Easier
- Enable tabbed editing and reading in Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher, Access, Visio and Project.
- Open and create multiple documents in new tabs of the same window, rather than in new windows.
- Increases your productivity by 50%, and reduces hundreds of mouse clicks for you every day!