How to vlookup and concatenate multiple corresponding values in Excel?
As we all known, the Vlookup function in Excel can help us to lookup a value and return the corresponding data in another column, but in general, it can only get the first relative value if there are multiple matching data. In this article, I will talk about how to vlookup and concatenate multiple corresponding values in only one cell or a vertical list.
Vlookup and return multiple matching values vertically with formula
Vlookup and concatenate multiple matching values in a cell with User Defined Function
Vlookup and concatenate multiple matching values in a cell with Kutools for Excel
Supposing, I have the following range of data, to get all the corresponding values based on a specific value vertically as following screenshot shown, you can apply an array formula.
1. Enter this formula: =IF(COUNTIF($A$1:$A$16,$D$2)>=ROWS($1:1),INDEX($B$1:$B$16,SMALL(IF($A$1:$A$16=$D$2,ROW($1:$16)),ROW(1:1))),"") into a blank cell where you want to put the result, for example, E2, and then press Ctrl + Shift + Enter keys together to get the relative value base on a specific criterion, see screenshot:
Note: In the above formula:
A1:A16 is the column range which contains the specific value you want to look for;
D2 indicates the specific value you want to vlookup;
B1:B16 is the column range that you want to return the corresponding data from;
$1:$16 indicates the rows reference within the range.
2. Then select cell E2, and drag the fill handle down to the cells until you get blank cells, and all matching values are listed into the column as following screenshot shown:
Instead of getting the relative values vertically, sometimes, you want to the matching values into one cell and concatenate them with a specific separator. In this case, the following User Defined Function may do you a favor.
1. Hold down the ALT + F11 keys to open the Microsoft Visual Basic for Applications window.
2. Click Insert > Module, and paste the following code in the Module Window.
VBA code: Vlookup and concatenate multiple matching values in a cell
Function CusVlookup(lookupval, lookuprange As Range, indexcol As Long)
Dim x As Range
Dim result As String
result = ""
For Each x In lookuprange
If x = lookupval Then
result = result & " " & x.Offset(0, indexcol - 1)
CusVlookup = result
3. Then save and close this code, go back to the worksheet, and enter this formula: =cusvlookup(D2,A1:B16,2) into a blank cell where you want to put the result, and press Enter key, all corresponding values based on a specific data have been returned into one cell with space separator, see screenshot:
Note: In the above formula: D2 indicates the cell values that you want to look up, A1: B16 is the data range that you want to fetch the data, the number 2 is the column number that the matching value is to be returned from, you can change theses references to your need.
If you have Kutools for Excel, with its Advanced Combine Rows feature, you can quickly finish this job with ease. This feature can help you to combine all matching values with a specific delimiters based on the same data in another column.
|Kutools for Excel : with more than 300 handy Excel add-ins, free to try with no limitation in 30 days.
After installing Kutools for Excel, please do as follows:
1. Select the data range that you want to get the corresponding values based on the specific data.
2. Then click Kutools > Merge & Split > Advanced Combine Rows, see screenshot:
3. In the Advanced Combine Rows dialog box, click the column name that you want to combine based on, then click Primary Key button, see screenshot:
4. Then click another column name that you want to return the matched values, and click Combine to choose one separator to separate the combined values, see screenshot:
5. And then click Ok button, all the corresponding values based on same values have been combined together with a specific separator, see screenshots:
Download and free trial Kutools for Excel Now !
The Best Office Productivity Tools
Kutools for Excel Solves Most of Your Problems, and Increases Your Productivity by
- Reuse: Quickly insert complex formulas, charts and anything that you have used before; Encrypt Cells with password; Create Mailing List and send emails...
- Super Formula Bar (easily edit multiple lines of text and formula); Reading Layout (easily read and edit large numbers of cells); Paste to Filtered Range...
- Merge Cells/Rows/Columns without losing Data; Split Cells Content; Combine Duplicate Rows/Columns... Prevent Duplicate Cells; Compare Ranges...
- Select Duplicate or Unique Rows; Select Blank Rows (all cells are empty); Super Find and Fuzzy Find in Many Workbooks; Random Select...
- Exact Copy Multiple Cells without changing formula reference; Auto Create References to Multiple Sheets; Insert Bullets, Check Boxes and more...
- Extract Text, Add Text, Remove by Position, Remove Space; Create and Print Paging Subtotals; Convert Between Cells Content and Comments...
- Super Filter (save and apply filter schemes to other sheets); Advanced Sort by month/week/day, frequency and more; Special Filter by bold, italic...
- Combine Workbooks and WorkSheets; Merge Tables based on key columns; Split Data into Multiple Sheets; Batch Convert xls, xlsx and PDF...
- More than
300 powerful features. Supports Office/Excel
2007-2019 and 365. Supports all languages. Easy deploying in your enterprise or organization. Full features
30-day free trial. 60-day money back guarantee.
Office Tab Brings Tabbed interface to Office, and Make Your Work Much Easier
- Enable tabbed editing and reading in Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher, Access, Visio and Project.
- Open and create multiple documents in new tabs of the same window, rather than in new windows.
- Increases your productivity by
50%, and reduces hundreds of mouse clicks for you every day!