How to vlookup and concatenate multiple corresponding values in Excel?
As we all known, the Vlookup function in Excel can help us to lookup a value and return the corresponding data in another column, but in general, it can only get the first relative value if there are multiple matching data. In this article, I will talk about how to vlookup and concatenate multiple corresponding values in only one cell or a vertical list.
Supposing, I have the following range of data, to get all the corresponding values based on a specific value vertically as following screenshot shown, you can apply an array formula.
1. Enter this formula: =IF(COUNTIF($A$1:$A$16,$D$2)>=ROWS($1:1),INDEX($B$1:$B$16,SMALL(IF($A$1:$A$16=$D$2,ROW($1:$16)),ROW(1:1))),"") into a blank cell where you want to put the result, for example, E2, and then press Ctrl + Shift + Enter keys together to get the relative value base on a specific criterion, see screenshot:
Note: In the above formula:
A1:A16 is the column range which contains the specific value you want to look for;
D2 indicates the specific value you want to vlookup;
B1:B16 is the column range that you want to return the corresponding data from;
$1:$16 indicates the rows reference within the range.
2. Then select cell E2, and drag the fill handle down to the cells until you get blank cells, and all matching values are listed into the column as following screenshot shown:
Instead of getting the relative values vertically, sometimes, you want to the matching values into one cell and concatenate them with a specific separator. In this case, the following User Defined Function may do you a favor.
1. Hold down the ALT + F11 keys to open the Microsoft Visual Basic for Applications window.
2. Click Insert > Module, and paste the following code in the Module Window.
VBA code: Vlookup and concatenate multiple matching values in a cell
Function CusVlookup(lookupval, lookuprange As Range, indexcol As Long) 'updateby Extendoffice Dim x As Range Dim result As String result = "" For Each x In lookuprange If x = lookupval Then result = result & " " & x.Offset(0, indexcol - 1) End If Next x CusVlookup = result End Function
3. Then save and close this code, go back to the worksheet, and enter this formula: =cusvlookup(D2,A1:B16,2) into a blank cell where you want to put the result, and press Enter key, all corresponding values based on a specific data have been returned into one cell with space separator, see screenshot:
Note: In the above formula: D2 indicates the cell values that you want to look up, A1: B16 is the data range that you want to fetch the data, the number 2 is the column number that the matching value is to be returned from, you can change theses references to your need.
If you have Kutools for Excel, with its Advanced Combine Rows feature, you can quickly finish this job with ease. This feature can help you to combine all matching values with a specific delimiters based on the same data in another column.
|Kutools for Excel : with more than 300 handy Excel add-ins, free to try with no limitation in 30 days.|
After installing Kutools for Excel, please do as follows:
1. Select the data range that you want to get the corresponding values based on the specific data.
2. Then click Kutools > Merge & Split > Advanced Combine Rows, see screenshot:
3. In the Advanced Combine Rows dialog box, click the column name that you want to combine based on, then click Primary Key button, see screenshot:
4. Then click another column name that you want to return the matched values, and click Combine to choose one separator to separate the combined values, see screenshot:
5. And then click Ok button, all the corresponding values based on same values have been combined together with a specific separator, see screenshots:
Best Office Productivity Tools
Supercharge Your Excel Skills with Kutools for Excel, and Experience Efficiency Like Never Before. Kutools for Excel Offers Over 300 Advanced Features to Boost Productivity and Save Time. Click Here to Get The Feature You Need The Most...
Office Tab Brings Tabbed interface to Office, and Make Your Work Much Easier
- Enable tabbed editing and reading in Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher, Access, Visio and Project.
- Open and create multiple documents in new tabs of the same window, rather than in new windows.
- Increases your productivity by 50%, and reduces hundreds of mouse clicks for you every day!