How to copy rows if column contains specific text/value in Excel?
Supposing you want to find out cells containing specific text or value in a column, and then copy the entire row where the found cell is in, how could you deal with it? Here I will introduce a couple of methods to find if column contains specific text or value and then copy the entire row in Excel.
- Copy rows if column contains specific text/value with Filter command in Excel
- Copy rows if columns contains specific text/value with Kutools for Excel
- Copy rows if column contains specific text/value of another column
- Copy rows to new sheet if column contains specified text/value in Excel
This method will guide you to find out cells which contain specific text or value in a specified column firstly with the Filter command, and then you can easily copy the filtered rows in Excel.
1. Select the column which you will filter, and then click the Data > Filter.
2. Click the arrow button at right side of first cell of selected column, and then click the Text Filters > Contains from the drop down list.
3. In the popping up Custom AutoFilter dialog box, enter specific text or value into the box behind the contains box, and click the OK button. See screenshot above:
4. Now select all filtered out rows, and copy them with pressing Ctrl + C keys simultaneously.
5. Select a blank row or cell, and paste the filtered row with pressing Ctrl + V keys at the same time.
Normally we can find cells containing specific text or value with Find command (Ctrl + F) easily, but it cannot select the entire row. However, Kutools for Excel's Select Special Cells feature can not only help us find out cells with specific text or value, but also select the whole rows that the found cells are in.
1. Select the columns where you will find out cells containing specific text or value.
2. Click the Kutools > Select > Select Specific Cells.
3. In the Select Specific Cells dialog box (see screenshot above),
(1) Check the Entire row option in the Selection type section;
(2) In the Specific type section, click the first box and select the Contains from the drop down list, then type specific text or value into the following box (see screen shot below);
(3) Click the Ok button.
4. Then another Select Specific Cells dialog box comes out. Click the OK button to close it.
All cells containing specific text or value in the selected columns are found out, and all rows with the selected cells are selected at once.
5. Press Ctrl + C keys in a meanwhile to copy these rows.
6. Select a blank row or cell, and paste these rows with pressing Ctrl + V keys in a meantime.
Kutools for Excel's Compare Ranges utility provides another workaround to copy rows if a column contains specific text/values of another column in Excel. Please do as follows:
1. Click Kutools > Select > Select Same & Different Cells.
2. In the opening Select Same & Different Cells dialog box, please do as follows:
(1) Specify the column you will check if contains specific text/value in the Find values in box;
(2) Specify the column contains the specific text/value in the According to box;
Note: Please check the My data has headers options based on your situation.
(3) Check the Same Values option in the Find section;
(4) Check the Select entire rows option.
(5) Click the Ok button to apply this utility.
3. Then another Compare Ranges dialog box comes out and shows how many rows have been selected. Please click the OK button to close it.
4. And then copy these selected rows with pressing the Ctrl + C keys at the same time, and then paste in the destination range as you need.
Kutools for Excel supports another workaround that copy entire rows to new worksheets if the specified column contains certain text/value by its Split Data utility. You can do as follows:
1. Select the range where you will copy rows to new sheets if column contains specified text/value, and click Kutools Plus > Split Data.
2. In the opening Split Data into Multiple Worksheets dialog box, please check the Specific column option and select the column name which you will copy rows based on from below drop down list; specify the rule of naming new sheets, and click the Ok button. See left screenshot:
Best Office Productivity Tools
Supercharge Your Excel Skills with Kutools for Excel, and Experience Efficiency Like Never Before. Kutools for Excel Offers Over 300 Advanced Features to Boost Productivity and Save Time. Click Here to Get The Feature You Need The Most...
Office Tab Brings Tabbed interface to Office, and Make Your Work Much Easier
- Enable tabbed editing and reading in Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher, Access, Visio and Project.
- Open and create multiple documents in new tabs of the same window, rather than in new windows.
- Increases your productivity by 50%, and reduces hundreds of mouse clicks for you every day!