How to sumif adjacent cell is equal, blank or containing text in Excel?
While using Microsoft Excel, you may need to sum values where the adjacent cell equals a criterion in a certain range, or sum the values where the adjacent cell is blank or containing text. In this tutorial, we will provide you with formulas to deal with these problems.
As below screenshot shows, you need to sum all prices of the Beef. Please do as follows.
1. Specify a cell for displaying the result.
2. Copy and paste the formula =SUM(IF(A4:E10=A13, B4:F10, 0)) into the Formula Bar, and then press Ctrl + Shift +Enter keys simultaneously to get the result.
Note: In the formula, A4:E10 is the data range which contains the specific criteria you need, A13 is the criteria that you want to sum the cells based on, and B4:F10 is the range which has the values you want to sum. . Please change the range based on your own data.
Easily combine duplicates in a column and sum values in another column based on the duplicates in Excel
The Kutools for Excel's Advanced Combine Rows utility helps you easily combine duplicate rows in a column and calculate or combine values in another column based on the duplicates in Excel
Download and try it now! (30-day free trail)
For example, you have a range A2:B7 and you just need to sum the values where the adjacent cells are blank. See screenshot below. You need to do as follows.
1. Select a blank cell to display the result. Copy and paste the formula =SUM(IF(ISBLANK(B2:B7),A2:A7,0)) (B2:B7 is the data range which contains the blank cells, and A2:A7 is the data you want to sum) into the Formula Bar, then press Ctrl + Shift + Enter keys at the same time to get the result.
Then you can see all values where the adjacent cells are blank are summed and displayed in the specified cell.
The above method helps you sum values where the adjacent cell is blank in a certain range. In this section, you will learn how to sum values where the adjacent cells contain texts in Excel.
Just use the same example as above method shown.
1. Select a blank cell, copy and paste the formula =SUMIF(B2:B7,"<>"&"",A2:A7) ( B2:B7 is the data range which contains the text cells, and A2:A7 is the data you want to sum) into the Formula Bar, then press Ctrl + Shift + Enter keys.
You will see all values where the adjacent cells contain texts are summed and displayed in the selected cell.
Best Office Productivity Tools
Supercharge Your Excel Skills with Kutools for Excel, and Experience Efficiency Like Never Before. Kutools for Excel Offers Over 300 Advanced Features to Boost Productivity and Save Time. Click Here to Get The Feature You Need The Most...
Office Tab Brings Tabbed interface to Office, and Make Your Work Much Easier
- Enable tabbed editing and reading in Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher, Access, Visio and Project.
- Open and create multiple documents in new tabs of the same window, rather than in new windows.
- Increases your productivity by 50%, and reduces hundreds of mouse clicks for you every day!