How to transpose duplicate rows to columns in Excel?
Supposing you have a range of data in Excel, now, you would like to transpose the duplicate rows to multiple columns as following screenshot shown, do you have any good ideas to solve this task?
Unfortunately, there is no direct way for you to deal with it in Excel, but you can create a VBA code to solve it, please do as follows:
1. Hold down the ALT + F11 keys to open the Microsoft Visual Basic for Applications window.
2. Click Insert > Module, and paste the following code in the Module Window.
VBA code: Transpose duplicate rows to multiple columns
Sub ConvertTable() 'Updateby Extendoffice Dim xArr1 As Variant Dim xArr2 As Variant Dim InputRng As Range, OutRng As Range Dim xRows As Long xTitleId = "KutoolsforExcel" Set InputRng = Application.Selection Set InputRng = Application.InputBox("Range :", xTitleId, InputRng.Address, Type:=8) Set OutRng = Application.InputBox("Out put to (single cell):", xTitleId, Type:=8) Set OutRng = OutRng.Range("A1") xArr1 = InputRng.Value t = UBound(xArr1, 2): xRows = 1 With CreateObject("Scripting.Dictionary") .CompareMode = 1 For i = 2 To UBound(xArr1, 1) If Not .exists(xArr1(i, 1)) Then xRows = xRows + 1: .Item(xArr1(i, 1)) = VBA.Array(xRows, t) For ii = 1 To t xArr1(xRows, ii) = xArr1(i, ii) Next Else xArr2 = .Item(xArr1(i, 1)) If UBound(xArr1, 2) < xArr2(1) + t - 1 Then ReDim Preserve xArr1(1 To UBound(xArr1, 1), 1 To xArr2(1) + t - 1) For ii = 2 To t xArr1(1, xArr2(1) + ii - 1) = xArr1(1, ii) Next End If For ii = 2 To t xArr1(xArr2(0), xArr2(1) + ii - 1) = xArr1(i, ii) Next xArr2(1) = xArr2(1) + t - 1: .Item(xArr1(i, 1)) = xArr2 End If Next End With OutRng.Resize(xRows, UBound(xArr1, 2)).Value = xArr1 End Sub
3. Then press F5 key to run this code, select the data range that you want to convert the duplicate rows to multiple columns in the popped out dialog, see screenshot:
4. Click OK, and select one cell where you want to put the result in the following dialog box, see screenshot:
5. And then click OK button, your selected data has been converted to follows:
Best Office Productivity Tools
Supercharge Your Excel Skills with Kutools for Excel, and Experience Efficiency Like Never Before. Kutools for Excel Offers Over 300 Advanced Features to Boost Productivity and Save Time. Click Here to Get The Feature You Need The Most...
Office Tab Brings Tabbed interface to Office, and Make Your Work Much Easier
- Enable tabbed editing and reading in Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher, Access, Visio and Project.
- Open and create multiple documents in new tabs of the same window, rather than in new windows.
- Increases your productivity by 50%, and reduces hundreds of mouse clicks for you every day!