How to find the highest value and return adjacent cell value in Excel?
If you have a range of data as following screenshot shown, now, you want to find the largest value in column A and get its adjacent cell content in column B. In Excel, you can deal with this problem with some formulas.
With Kutools for Excel’s Select Cells with Max & Min Value utiltiy, you can quickly select the largest or smallest number in a column or a range as you need.
Take the above data for example, to get the largest value of its corresponding data, you can use the following formulas:
Please type this formula: =VLOOKUP(MAX($A$2:$A$11), $A$2:$B$11, 2, FALSE) into a blank cell you need, and then press Enter key to return the correct result, see screenshot:
1. In the above formula, A2:A11 is the data range that you want to know the largest value, and A2:B11 indicates the data range you used, the number 2 is the column number that your matched value is returned.
2. If there are multiple largest values in column A, this formula is only get the first corresponding value.
3. With the above value, you just can return the cell value from the right column, if you need to return the value which in the left column, you should apply this formula: =INDEX(A2:A11,MATCH(MAX(B2:B11),B2:B11,0))( A2:A11 is the data range that you want to get the relative value, B2:B11 is the data range which contains the largest value ), and then press Enter key. You will get the following result:
The above formulas only can help you to return the first corresponding data, if there are duplicate largest number, it will not help. Kutools for Excel's Select Cells with Max & Min Value utility may help you to select all the largest number, and then you can easily view the corresponding data which adjancent of the largest number.
After installing Kutools for Excel, please do as follows:( Download Kutools for Excel Now! )
|Kutools for Excel : with more than 300 handy Excel add-ins, free to try with no limitation in 60 days.|
1. Select the number column that you want to find and selecte the largest values.
2. Then click Kutools > Select > Select Cells with Max & Min Value, see screenshot:
3. In the Select Cell With Max & Min Value dialog box, choose Maximum value from the Go To section, and select Cell option in the Base section, then choose All cells or First cell only that you want to select the largest value, click OK, the largest number in column A has been selected and then you can get the corresponding data which adjancent them, see screenshots:
Recommended Productivity Tools
Bring handy tabs to Excel and other Office software, just like Chrome, Firefox and new Internet Explorer.
Amazing! Increase your productivity in 5 minutes. Don't need any special skills, save two hours every day!
300 New Features for Excel, Make Excel Much Easy and Powerful:
- Merge Cell/Rows/Columns without Losing Data.
- Combine and Consolidate Multiple Sheets and Workbooks.
- Compare Ranges, Copy Multiple Ranges, Convert Text to Date, Unit and Currency Conversion.
- Count by Colors, Paging Subtotals, Advanced Sort and Super Filter,
- More Select/Insert/Delete/Text/Format/Link/Comment/Workbooks/Worksheets Tools...
You are guest ( Sign Up? )
or post as a guest, but your post won't be published automatically.
To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 8 months agoI GET #NA what am I doing wrong? Thanks
To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 10 months agoThank you very much for sharing, I was having real trouble with this function. Of course in hindsight, it's as clear as glass!
Thanks Again & Best Regards,
To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 11 months agoHello,
I need your help. For this table:
A B C
2002 1 4 7
2003 2 5 8
2004 3 6 9
I want that excel returns the year with the highest value for each column. For example, for column A, I want a formula that returns "2004". Can you, please, help me?
To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 1 years agoany way we can find the minimum of the cells selected and return the value in the cell adjacent. kutools only allow for data range selection.
To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 11 months agoHi, Viet,
As you said, the Kutools only can select the max or min values in selection.
To find the minimum value and return the data in adjacent cell, you just need to apply the following formula:
Please try it, Thank you!
To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 2 years agoLike the 2 above me already asked, how can we get multiple values if there are multiple max ones?
For example, you have 2 items in a list of 100 items that are both 92% and the rest is below that, how does one get both items with that percentage instead of just one?