How to auto update drop down list in Excel?
In Excel, we usually create a drop down list for some daily work. In default, you can add new data in a cell among the range of original data, then the relative drop down list will be auto updated. But if you add new data in the cell below the original data range, the relative drop down list cannot be updated. Here I will tell you a good way to auto update the drop down list when adding new data to the original data.Auto update drop down list
Auto update drop down list
1. Select a cell you want to put the drop down list, and click Data > Data Validation > Data Validation. See screenshot:
2. In the Data Validation dialog, click Setting tab, and select List from Allow list, then type =OFFSET($A$2,0,0,COUNTA(A:A)-1) into the Source text box. See screenshot:
Tip: In the above formula, A2 is the first cell of the data range you want to create a drop down list with, and A: A is the column original data locate.
3. Click OK. Now an auto-updated drop down list is created. And when you add new data to the original data range, the drop down list updates at the meanwhile.
The Best Office Productivity Tools
Kutools for Excel Solves Most of Your Problems, and Increases Your Productivity by
- Reuse: Quickly insert complex formulas, charts and anything that you have used before; Encrypt Cells with password; Create Mailing List and send emails...
- Super Formula Bar (easily edit multiple lines of text and formula); Reading Layout (easily read and edit large numbers of cells); Paste to Filtered Range...
- Merge Cells/Rows/Columns without losing Data; Split Cells Content; Combine Duplicate Rows/Columns... Prevent Duplicate Cells; Compare Ranges...
- Select Duplicate or Unique Rows; Select Blank Rows (all cells are empty); Super Find and Fuzzy Find in Many Workbooks; Random Select...
- Exact Copy Multiple Cells without changing formula reference; Auto Create References to Multiple Sheets; Insert Bullets, Check Boxes and more...
- Extract Text, Add Text, Remove by Position, Remove Space; Create and Print Paging Subtotals; Convert Between Cells Content and Comments...
- Super Filter (save and apply filter schemes to other sheets); Advanced Sort by month/week/day, frequency and more; Special Filter by bold, italic...
- Combine Workbooks and WorkSheets; Merge Tables based on key columns; Split Data into Multiple Sheets; Batch Convert xls, xlsx and PDF...
- More than
300 powerful features. Supports Office/Excel
2007-2019 and 365. Supports all languages. Easy deploying in your enterprise or organization. Full features
30-day free trial. 60-day money back guarantee.
Office Tab Brings Tabbed interface to Office, and Make Your Work Much Easier
- Enable tabbed editing and reading in Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher, Access, Visio and Project.
- Open and create multiple documents in new tabs of the same window, rather than in new windows.
- Increases your productivity by
50%, and reduces hundreds of mouse clicks for you every day!