How to list all open workbooks and easily shift between workbooks in Excel?
Microsoft Excel allows you to open multiple workbooks at the same time, but it’s not easy for you to shift between all open workbooks. So you may want to list all open workbooks in a list for easily shifting between those workbooks in Excel. In this article, we will show you how to list all open workbooks for easily navigation in Excel.
In this section, you will learn how to use a VBA code for listing all open workbooks in Excel.
1. Press Alt + F11 keys to open the Microsoft Visual Basic for Applications window. In the Microsoft Visual Basic for Applications window, click Insert > Module.
2. Then copy and paste the below VBA code into the code editor.
VBA: list all open workbook names in Excel
Sub ListWorkbooks() Dim Rng As Range Dim WorkRng As Range On Error Resume Next xTitleId = "KutoolsforExcel" Set WorkRng = Application.Selection Set WorkRng = Application.InputBox("Out put to (single cell)", xTitleId, WorkRng.Address, Type: = 8) Set WorkRng = WorkRng.Range("A1") xNum1 = Application.Workbooks.Count For i = 1 To xNum1 xNum2 = Application.Workbooks(i).Sheets.Count WorkRng.Offset(i - 1, 0).Value = Application.Workbooks(i).Name For j = 1 To xNum2 WorkRng.Offset(i - 1, j).Value = Application.Workbooks(i).Sheets(j).Name Next Next End Sub
3. Run the VBA code by pressing the F5 key. In the KutoolsforExcel dialog box, specify a cell for placing the workbook list, and then click the OK button. See screenshot:
Then all open workbooks with corresponding worksheets are listed out.
Hard to handle VBA code? You can acheive it through the third method with clicks.
If you want to list all workbooks for easily shift between workbooks, please try to use the VBA as follows:
1. Press the Alt + F11 to open the Microsoft Visual Basic for Applications window. In the Microsoft Visual Basic for Applications window, click Insert > Module.
2. Copy and paste the following VBA code into the open module window.
VBA code: list all open workbooks and shift to a workbook
Sub SelectWB() Dim xWBName As String Dim xWb As Workbook Dim xSelect As String For Each xWb In Application.Workbooks xWBName = xWBName & xWb.Name & vbCrLf Next xTitleId = "KutoolsforExcel" xSelect = Application.InputBox("Enter one of the workbooks below:" & vbCrLf & xWBName, xTitleId, "", Type: = 2) Application.Workbooks(xSelect).Activate End Sub
3. Press the F5 key to run the code. Then a KutoolsforExcel dialog box pops up with a list of all open workbooks. If you want to shift to a specified workbook, please enter this workbook name into the box and click the OK button. See screenshot:
Before applying Kutools for Excel, please download and install it firstly.
With the Navigation pane of Kutools for Excel, all open workbooks will be listed automatically inside a pane for you to easily navigate between all open workbooks. You just need to click on one of the open workbooks and it will navigate to that workbook immediately.