How to add horizontal borders only in specific range in Excel?
Normally, we can easily add Bottom border and Top border for selected range easily with clicking the corresponding Border button on the Home tab as below screen shot shown. However, sometimes you need to add all horizontal borders to range, including horizontal middle line, how could you solve it? Here I will introduce a couple of ways to add horizontal borders only in a specific range in Excel.
- Reuse Anything: Add the most used or complex formulas, charts and anything else to your favorites, and quickly reuse them in the future.
- More than 20 text features: Extract Number from Text String; Extract or Remove Part of Texts; Convert Numbers and Currencies to English Words.
- Merge Tools: Multiple Workbooks and Sheets into One; Merge Multiple Cells/Rows/Columns Without Losing Data; Merge Duplicate Rows and Sum.
- Split Tools: Split Data into Multiple Sheets Based on Value; One Workbook to Multiple Excel, PDF or CSV Files; One Column to Multiple Columns.
- Paste Skipping Hidden/Filtered Rows; Count And Sum by Background Color; Send Personalized Emails to Multiple Recipients in Bulk.
- Super Filter: Create advanced filter schemes and apply to any sheets; Sort by week, day, frequency and more; Filter by bold, formulas, comment...
- More than 300 powerful features; Works with Office 2007-2019 and 365; Supports all languages; Easy deploying in your enterprise or organization.
Before entering contents into cells, you can add top border and bottom border for the first row in the specific range, and then apply this row's format to other rows with Fill Handle in Excel. And you can do as follows:
Step 1: Select the first row in the specific range where you will add horizontal borders only.
Step 2: Add Top and Bottom border with clicking the arrow besides Border button > Top and Bottom Border on the Home tab.
Step 3: Move mouse to the bottom-right corner of selected row, when the cursor changes to a cross, drag the Fill handle to the rows you want to apply Top and Bottom border.
Then you will see only horizontal borders are added in the specific range in Excel, see below screen shot:
Note: This method works well in a blank range. If there have already been contents in the range, this method will clear original contents and fill with content of first row.
Actually we can customize the border style with horizontal borders only in Excel easily.
Step 1: Select the range you want to add horizontal borders only.
Step 2: Click the arrow besides Border button > More Borders on the Home tab.
Step 3: In the opening Format Cells dialog box, go to the Border tab, and then click to highlight all horizontal borders in the Border section. See below screen shot:
Step 4: Click the OK button to apply this custom border.
Then you will see the custom border with horizontal borders only is added to the selected range at once.