How to add horizontal borders only in specific range in Excel?
Normally, we can easily add Bottom border and Top border for selected range easily with clicking the corresponding Border button on the Home tab as below screen shot shown. However, sometimes you need to add all horizontal borders to range, including horizontal middle line, how could you solve it? Here I will introduce a couple of ways to add horizontal borders only in a specific range in Excel.
Add horizontal borders only with Fill Handle in Excel
Before entering contents into cells, you can add top border and bottom border for the first row in the specific range, and then apply this row's format to other rows with Fill Handle in Excel. And you can do as follows:
1. Select the first row in the specific range where you will add horizontal borders only.
2. Add Top and Bottom border with clicking the arrow besides Border button > Top and Bottom Border on the Home tab.
3. Move mouse to the bottom-right corner of selected row, when the cursor changes to a cross, drag the Fill handle to the rows you want to apply Top and Bottom border.
Then you will see only horizontal borders are added in the specific range in Excel, see below screen shot:
Note: This method works well in a blank range. If there have already been contents in the range, this method will clear original contents and fill with content of first row.
Add horizontal borders only with custom border in Excel
Actually we can customize the border style with horizontal borders only in Excel easily.
1. Select the range you want to add horizontal borders only.
2. Click the arrow besides Border button > More Borders on the Home tab.
3. In the opening Format Cells dialog box, go to the Border tab, and then click to highlight all horizontal borders in the Border section. See below screen shot:
4. Click the OK button to apply this custom border.
Then you will see the custom border with horizontal borders only is added to the selected range at once.
The Best Office Productivity Tools
Kutools for Excel Solves Most of Your Problems, and Increases Your Productivity by
- Reuse: Quickly insert complex formulas, charts and anything that you have used before; Encrypt Cells with password; Create Mailing List and send emails...
- Super Formula Bar (easily edit multiple lines of text and formula); Reading Layout (easily read and edit large numbers of cells); Paste to Filtered Range...
- Merge Cells/Rows/Columns without losing Data; Split Cells Content; Combine Duplicate Rows/Columns... Prevent Duplicate Cells; Compare Ranges...
- Select Duplicate or Unique Rows; Select Blank Rows (all cells are empty); Super Find and Fuzzy Find in Many Workbooks; Random Select...
- Exact Copy Multiple Cells without changing formula reference; Auto Create References to Multiple Sheets; Insert Bullets, Check Boxes and more...
- Extract Text, Add Text, Remove by Position, Remove Space; Create and Print Paging Subtotals; Convert Between Cells Content and Comments...
- Super Filter (save and apply filter schemes to other sheets); Advanced Sort by month/week/day, frequency and more; Special Filter by bold, italic...
- Combine Workbooks and WorkSheets; Merge Tables based on key columns; Split Data into Multiple Sheets; Batch Convert xls, xlsx and PDF...
- More than
300 powerful features. Supports Office/Excel
2007-2019 and 365. Supports all languages. Easy deploying in your enterprise or organization. Full features
30-day free trial. 60-day money back guarantee.
Office Tab Brings Tabbed interface to Office, and Make Your Work Much Easier
- Enable tabbed editing and reading in Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher, Access, Visio and Project.
- Open and create multiple documents in new tabs of the same window, rather than in new windows.
- Increases your productivity by
50%, and reduces hundreds of mouse clicks for you every day!