How to design custom border style (thickness/width/diagonal) in Excel?
Normally we can easily add all/top/bottom/left/right borders for selected cells in Excel. However, if we want to custom the border thickness, width, color, or add diagonals, it seems a little complex. Here I will show you how to design custom border style with customizing thickness, width, color, or diagonal in Excel, and save custom border style in Excel as well.
- Design custom border style with customizing thickness, width, color, and diagonal
- Save custom border style
This section is talking about how to add custom border for selected cells with special border thickness, width, color, or even add diagonal in Excel easily.
Step 1: Select the cells you want to add custom borders.
Step 2: Click the arrow besides Border button > More Borders on the Home tab.
Step 3: In the opening Format Cells dialog box, please do as follows.
(1) Go to the Border tab;
(2) In the Style box, click to select one line style. If you want to custom the border thickness, select the line style with proper thickness;
(3) Custom the border color with clicking the Color box and then specify a proper color from drop down list;
(4) In the Border section, select borders you will add. In our example, we will add Diagonal down border and Diagonal up border, so we click to highlight both buttons as above screen shot shown.
(5) Click the OK button.
Then you will see the custom border is added to selected range as following screen shot shown:
If you want to save the custom border for applying it to other cells in future easily, you can save the custom border as a custom cell style. And you can do as follows:
Step 1: Keep selecting the cells with custom border, then go to the Styles group on the Home tab, and click the arrow button > New Cell Style. See below screen shot:
Step 2: In the opening Style dialog box, type a name for this custom cell style in the Style name box, and uncheck all options except the Border option in the Style Includes (By Example) section.
Step 3: Click the OK button.
The custom cell style is saved in the Styles group under Home tab in Excel.
Note: Actually, in the Style dialog box you can also click the Format button to open the Format Cells dialog box, and then customize a border style on the Border tab. See below screen shot:
Best Office Productivity Tools
Supercharge Your Excel Skills with Kutools for Excel, and Experience Efficiency Like Never Before. Kutools for Excel Offers Over 300 Advanced Features to Boost Productivity and Save Time. Click Here to Get The Feature You Need The Most...
Office Tab Brings Tabbed interface to Office, and Make Your Work Much Easier
- Enable tabbed editing and reading in Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher, Access, Visio and Project.
- Open and create multiple documents in new tabs of the same window, rather than in new windows.
- Increases your productivity by 50%, and reduces hundreds of mouse clicks for you every day!