How to design custom border style (thickness/width/diagonal) in Excel?
Normally we can easily add all/top/bottom/left/right borders for selected cells in Excel. However, if we want to custom the border thickness, width, color, or add diagonals, it seems a little complex. Here I will show you how to design custom border style with customizing thickness, width, color, or diagonal in Excel, and save custom border style in Excel as well.
Design custom border style with customizing thickness, width, color, and diagonal
This section is talking about how to add custom border for selected cells with special border thickness, width, color, or even add diagonal in Excel easily.
Step 1: Select the cells you want to add custom borders.
Step 2: Click the arrow besides Border button > More Borders on the Home tab.
Step 3: In the opening Format Cells dialog box, please do as follows.
(1) Go to the Border tab;
(2) In the Style box, click to select one line style. If you want to custom the border thickness, select the line style with proper thickness;
(3) Custom the border color with clicking the Color box and then specify a proper color from drop down list;
(4) In the Border section, select borders you will add. In our example, we will add Diagonal down border and Diagonal up border, so we click to highlight both buttons as above screen shot shown.
(5) Click the OK button.
Then you will see the custom border is added to selected range as following screen shot shown:
Save custom border style
If you want to save the custom border for applying it to other cells in future easily, you can save the custom border as a custom cell style. And you can do as follows:
Step 1: Keep selecting the cells with custom border, then go to the Styles group on the Home tab, and click the arrow button > New Cell Style. See below screen shot:
Step 2: In the opening Style dialog box, type a name for this custom cell style in the Style name box, and uncheck all options except the Border option in the Style Includes (By Example) section.
Step 3: Click the OK button.
The custom cell style is saved in the Styles group under Home tab in Excel.
Note: Actually, in the Style dialog box you can also click the Format button to open the Format Cells dialog box, and then customize a border style on the Border tab. See below screen shot:
Quickly save custom cell style as an AutoText entry for easily reusing in future
The Best Office Productivity Tools
Kutools for Excel Solves Most of Your Problems, and Increases Your Productivity by 80%
- Reuse: Quickly insert complex formulas, charts and anything that you have used before; Encrypt Cells with password; Create Mailing List and send emails...
- Super Formula Bar (easily edit multiple lines of text and formula); Reading Layout (easily read and edit large numbers of cells); Paste to Filtered Range...
- Merge Cells/Rows/Columns without losing Data; Split Cells Content; Combine Duplicate Rows/Columns... Prevent Duplicate Cells; Compare Ranges...
- Select Duplicate or Unique Rows; Select Blank Rows (all cells are empty); Super Find and Fuzzy Find in Many Workbooks; Random Select...
- Exact Copy Multiple Cells without changing formula reference; Auto Create References to Multiple Sheets; Insert Bullets, Check Boxes and more...
- Extract Text, Add Text, Remove by Position, Remove Space; Create and Print Paging Subtotals; Convert Between Cells Content and Comments...
- Super Filter (save and apply filter schemes to other sheets); Advanced Sort by month/week/day, frequency and more; Special Filter by bold, italic...
- Combine Workbooks and WorkSheets; Merge Tables based on key columns; Split Data into Multiple Sheets; Batch Convert xls, xlsx and PDF...
- More than 300 powerful features. Supports Office/Excel
2007-2019 and 365. Supports all languages. Easy deploying in your enterprise or organization. Full features
30-day free trial. 60-day money back guarantee.
Office Tab Brings Tabbed interface to Office, and Make Your Work Much Easier
- Enable tabbed editing and reading in Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher, Access, Visio and Project.
- Open and create multiple documents in new tabs of the same window, rather than in new windows.
- Increases your productivity by 50%, and reduces hundreds of mouse clicks for you every day!