How to remove first / last word from text string in cell?
If you have a column of text strings in your worksheet, and you need to remove the first or the last word from the text string in cell as following screenshot shown. Excel doesn’t provide a direct way for you, but, with the following formulas this tutorial show, this problem will be solved as soon.
Split Cell values into multiple columns and rows by specific separator:
With Kutools for Excel’s Split Cells utility, you can quickly split text string in a cell into multiple columns or rows by space, comma, new line and any other separators you specified.
Kutools for Excel: with more than 200 handy Excel add-ins, free to try with no limitation in 60 days. Download and free trial Now!
The following formulas may help you to delete the first or last word from the text cell, please do as this:
Remove the first word from text string:
1. Please enter this formula into a blank cell where you want to put the result: =RIGHT(A2,LEN(A2)-FIND(" ",A2)) (A2 is the cell which has the text string you want to remove the first word), see screenshot:
2. And then drag the fill handle down to the range that you want to apply this formula, and the first words have been removed from the cells, see screenshot:
Remove the last word from text string:
To remove the last word from the cell, please copy and paste this formula: =LEFT(TRIM(A2),FIND("~",SUBSTITUTE(A2," ","~",LEN(TRIM(A2))-LEN(SUBSTITUTE(TRIM(A2)," ",""))))-1), and then drag the fill handle over to the range that you want to contains this formula, and all the last words have been deleted from the cell. See screenshot:
You are guest
or post as a guest, but your post won't be published automatically.
- To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 18 days agoThank you so much for sharing the formula, very helpful!
- To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 8 months agoRetention Payable - Tooba Aluminium & Glass Works. L.L.C
I want to remove (retention payable - ) from the above sentence
what I will do I want to save my time
- To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 4 months agoJust do find and replace if you just want to remove the same word from the sheet
- To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 8 months agoHello, Muhammad,
To solve your problem, please apply the following formula:
Please try it, hope it can help you!
- To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 11 months agoI have two strings, one works fine removing the last word (the file size) but one does not (I think due to double space in the string.)
=LEFT(TRIM(A2),FIND("~",SUBSTITUTE(A2," ","~",LEN(TRIM(A2))-LEN(SUBSTITUTE(TRIM(A2)," ",""))))-1)
Cell A2 contents: D:\Sowdeswari\BIO-LAB-DSM-03\03-Jan-2019\Config\SecEvent.Evt 01/01/2019 5963776
Result: D:\Sowdeswari\BIO-LAB-DSM-03\03-Jan-2019\Config\SecEvent.Evt 01/01/2019 (This is correct)
Cell A2 contents: D:\laptop_swap\win_account\Desktop\ !!!Docs\FORM-00538.pdf 18/01/2018 298032
Result: D:\laptop_swap\win_account\Desktop\ !!!Docs\FORM-00538.pdf (this is not correct, but works when I remove one of the spaces before the "!!!" in the string)
All help appreciated. It's a large file and there are a few errors but if I can fix this I can probably work out the other ones.
- To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 1 years agoWow, thank you, worked perfectly and saved a lot of time.
- To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 1 years agohello
may i ask you how to separate using formula the 4-digit numbers?
1234 · Bike:5678 · Tires Improvement; :6767
- To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 1 years agoAMINODDIN MAMONDIONG/HASSANA AMPUAN <<--- i want to separate this two names damn! let me try
- To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 1 years agoWorked perfectly! Thank you very much.
- To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 4 years agoINSTEAD OF "," TRY USING ";"
- To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 4 years agohi!
my problem is how to extract these names into first name , middle initial followed by last name.
Roxas, Richard Jr. Alvarez
Chavez, Ryan James Galareta
Legaspi, Christian Arnaiz
Jimenez, Johnray Del Castillo
De Chavez, Rosalyn David
Dela Rosa, Ana Joy Ramirez
Manolo, Ma. Ana Santos
Santillan, Jeneth Umali
Result should be:
Richard A. Roxas Jr.
Ryan James G. Chavez
Christian A. Legaspi
Johnray D. Jimenez
Rosalyn D. De Chavez
Ana Joy R. Dela Rosa
Ma. Ana S. Manolo
Jeneth U. Santillan
- To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 4 years agoHi!
I have issues applying the formula for removing the first word
When I insert it into Excel it opens an error window, saying that the formula is incorrect and marking =RIGHT([b]A2,LEN[/b](A2)-FIND(" ",A2))