How to convert vertical list to horizontal or vice versa in Excel?
For a vertical list, you may need to convert it to horizontal for some special purpose. Or convert a horizontal list to vertical contrarily. This article will show you methods of converting vertical list to horizontal or vice versa in Excel.
- Reuse Anything: Add the most used or complex formulas, charts and anything else to your favorites, and quickly reuse them in the future.
- More than 20 text features: Extract Number from Text String; Extract or Remove Part of Texts; Convert Numbers and Currencies to English Words.
- Merge Tools: Multiple Workbooks and Sheets into One; Merge Multiple Cells/Rows/Columns Without Losing Data; Merge Duplicate Rows and Sum.
- Split Tools: Split Data into Multiple Sheets Based on Value; One Workbook to Multiple Excel, PDF or CSV Files; One Column to Multiple Columns.
- Paste Skipping Hidden/Filtered Rows; Count And Sum by Background Color; Send Personalized Emails to Multiple Recipients in Bulk.
- Super Filter: Create advanced filter schemes and apply to any sheets; Sort by week, day, frequency and more; Filter by bold, formulas, comment...
- More than 300 powerful features; Works with Office 2007-2019 and 365; Supports all languages; Easy deploying in your enterprise or organization.
With the Transpose function, you can convert vertical list to horizontal or vice versa as follows.
1. Select a vertical list or horizontal list you want to convert, and then press Ctrl + C keys simultaneously to copy the list.
2. Select a blank cell which you want to locate the converted list.
3. Then click Home > Paste > Paste Special. See screenshot:
4. In the Paste Special dialog box, check the Transpose box and then click the OK button.
Then the selected vertical list or horizontal list is converted immediately.
In this section, I will show you a handy utility – Kutools for Excel. With the Transform Range utility of Kutools for Excel, converting vertical list to horizontal or vice versa will be easier.
1. Click Kutools > Range > Transform Range.
2. In the Transform Range dialog box, please select the vertical list you need to convert to horizontal in the Data to be transformed box, select the Range to single row option, then click the OK button. See screenshot:
Note: For converting horizontal list to vertical, please select the horizontal list in the Data to be transformed box, and then choose the Range to single column option in the dialog box.
3. In the following popping up Transform Range dialog box, select a blank cell for locating the converted list, and then click the OK button.
Now the selected list is converted successfully as below screenshot shown.
Kutools for Excel includes more than 300 handy Excel tools. Free to try with no limitation in 60 days. Download the free trial now!