How to name sheets based on cell values (from list) in Excel?
Normally, we can easily rename a worksheet with right clicking the sheet in the Sheet Tab and selecting Rename from right-clicking menu in Excel. What if renaming all/multiple worksheets with specified cell values? And what if dynamically naming a worksheet based on a specified cell value? In this article, a couple of methods will help you solve them easily.
- Dynamically name a sheet based on cell value with VBA
- Name multiple sheets based on cell values in corresponding sheets
- Name multiple sheets from the specified list
We can dynamically name a worksheet from a certain cell’s value with VBA in Excel, and you can do as follows:
Step 1: Right click the worksheet in the Sheet Tab that you will dynamically name it by a cell value, and select View Code from the right-clicking menu.
Step 2: In the opening Microsoft Visual Basic for Applications window, paste the following VBA code into the module window.
Private Sub Worksheet_SelectionChange(ByVal Target As Range) Set Target = Range("A1") If Target = "" Then Exit Sub Application.ActiveSheet.Name = VBA.Left(Target, 31) Exit Sub End Sub
Note: This VBA can dynamically rename the worksheet based on the value of Cell A1, and you can change the A1 to other cells based on your needs.
Step 3: Save the VBA code and close the Microsoft Visual Basic for Application window.
Then you will see the sheet name is dynamically changed based on the specified cell value.
- If the specified cell is blank, the worksheet won’t be renamed;
- If you type special characters into the specified cell, such as *, it will pop up an error warning.
With Kutools for Excel's Rename Multiple Worksheets feature, you can quickly name all/multiple sheets with the specified cell in corresponding sheet. For example, rename each sheet with the Cell A1 value in each sheet.
1. Click Kutools Plus > Worksheet > Rename Worksheets. See screenshot:
(1) In the Worksheets list, please check the worksheet whose name you will change;
(2) In the Rename Options section, please check the Replace original sheet name option;
(3) In the New Worksheet Name section, please check the Rename worksheets with specific cell option, and specify the cell whose content you will name corresponding sheet with.
(4) Click the Ok button.
And now all checked sheets have been renamed with the specified cell of each sheet. See screenshot:
Kutools for Excel’s Rename Multiple Worksheets feature also supports to name multiple sheet with cell values in the specified range.
1. Click the Kutools Plus > Worksheet > Rename Worksheets.
2. In the opening Rename Multiple Worksheets dialog box, you need to (see screenshots below):
(1) In the Worksheets list, check the worksheet you will rename with cell values.
(2) In the Rename Options section, check the Replace original sheet name option;
(3) In the New Worksheet Name section, check the From Specific range option, click the button to open the second Rename Multiple Worksheets dialog box, select the cells that you will rename by their values, and click the OK button.
(4) Click the Ok button to apply the renaming.
Then you will see all checked worksheet names are changed to the specified cell values. See below screen shot: