How to switch between multiple workbooks?
In our daily work, we may work with multiple workbooks, to toggle between two workbooks may be easy for us, but, if there are multiple opened workbooks needed to be switched between from time to time, how could you switch between these multiple opened workbooks?
There is a command called Switch Windows in Excel, by using it, you can quickly switch between multiple workbooks.
In one of your opened workbook, click View > Switch Windows, and then from the Switch Windows drop down list, choose the workbook that you want to switch. See screenshot:
With the above method, you need to toggle the tabs time and time again when you do other operations, here, I can help you to add the Switch Windows command to the Customize Quick Access Toolbar, and this will cut down your clicks. Please do as follows:
1. In the opened workbook, click the Customize Quick Access Toolbar in the Excel window, and then choose More Commands from the menu, see screenshot:
2. In the Excel Options dialog box, click Quick Access Toolbar from the left pane. Then select All Commands from the drop-down list under Choose commands from, scroll down and select Switch Windows, then click the Add>> button to move that command to the right-hand window. See screenshot:
3. Then click OK button, and you can see the Switch Windows command has been displayed in the Quick Access Toolbar, and you can switch between the workbooks easily with one click.
If you like to use the keyboards, here also have shortcut keys for you to quickly toggle between multiple workbooks.
Holding the Ctrl + Tab keys together can help you move from one window to the next window, if you have only two windows, this method will be faster. However, with more than two opened workbooks, this method doesn’t work very well because it will cycle through each opened workbook.
If you have Kutools for Excel, with its Navigation utility, you can quickly switch between multiple workbooks and worksheets.
|Kutools for Excel : with more than 300 handy Excel add-ins, free to try with no limitation in 60 days.|
After installing Kutools for Excel, please do as following steps:
1. Click Kutools > Navigation, see screenshot:
2. In the Navigation pane, click Workbook & Sheet icon, and you can see all the opened workbooks are listed into the list box, you can switch between them quickly and conveniently.
Note: In the Navigation pane, you can also sort the opened workbooks in ascending or descending order with the and icons.
If you have installed Office Tab in your computer, it helps you view and edit multiple files within a single tabbed window, to know more about Office Tab Office Tab and download it (free trial in 30 days).
After installed Office Tab, and open multiple workbooks, you will see all the workbook names have been displayed within a single tabbed window as following screenshot shown, and then you can quickly switch among them by a click.