How to highlight entire / whole row while scrolling in Excel worksheet?
If you have a large worksheet with multiple columns, it will be difficult for you to distinguish data on that row. In this case, you can highlight the whole row of active cell so that you can quickly and easily view the data in that row when you scroll down the horizontal scroll bar .This article, I will talk about some tricks for you to solve this problem.
The following VBA code can help you to highlight a row of selected cell dynamically, please do as follows:
1. Active the worksheet that you want to highlight the whole row of the selected cell, and then right click the sheet tab, and choose View Code from the right-click menu, see screenshot:
2. In the opened Microsoft Visual Basic for Applications window, please copy the following code to this blank module:
VBA code: Highlight whole row when scrolling
Private Sub Worksheet_SelectionChange(ByVal Target As Range) 'Updateby Extendoffice Cells.Interior.ColorIndex = 0 Target.EntireRow.Interior.ColorIndex = 8 End Sub
3. Then save and close this code, now, when you click a cell, the whole row of this selected cell will be highlighted as following screenshots shown:
1. You can change the highlight color to another you like in this script “Target.EntireRow.Interior.ColorIndex = 8” , change the number 8 to another color index.
2. If you want to disable this code, you just need to go to the Microsoft Visual Basic for Applications window, and delete the code.
3. This code also can highlight the rows of selected range of cells as following result:
4. This code is only applied to the current worksheet.
5. If there are some colored cells in your worksheet, the cell color will be lost when you apply this code.
If you would like to try to a new tool -- Kutools for Excel, with its Reading Layout, you can easily highlight the whole row or whole column or both row and column of active cell.
|Kutools for Excel : with more than 300 handy Excel add-ins, free to try with no limitation in 30 days.|
After installing Kutools for Excel, please do with following steps:
1. Select a cell or a range of cells where you want to highlight the rows.
2. Click Kutools > Reading Layout drop down button > Reading Layout Settings, see screenshot:
3. In the Reading Layout Settings dialog box, choose one type you need to highlight the row or column under the Shapes section, and then specify a style of this shape, at the same time, you can choose other options, such as color or transparency as you need, see screenshot:
Tips: If you want to highlight the row and column of selected cell, please choose Criss-cross under the Shapes section, and choose Vertical line to highlight the whole column of active cell.
4. After finishing the settings in the dialog box, please click Ok, and now, when you click a cell, the whole row will be highlighted at once. And it will be dynamically moved as the selected cells change.
1. You can cancel this utility by unchecking the Reading Layout again.
2. This Reading Layout feature is applied to all of the worksheets within your workbook.
3. This Reading Layout feature will be disabled when you launch the workbook next time.
4. With this utility, your colored cell will be preserved.