How to sort a column but keep intact rows in Excel?
Suppose you have multiple columns in a worksheet, now you want to sort a column and keep its intact rows order as below screenshot shown. Here I will tell you some ways to solve this problem in Excel.
Recommended Productivity Tools for Excel
Office Tab: Bring powerful tabs to Office (include Excel), just like Chrome, Safari, Firefox and Internet Explorer. Save you half the time, and reduce thousands of mouse clicks for you. 30-day Unlimited Free Trial
Kutools for Excel: Save 71% of your time and solve 82% Excel problems for you. 300+ advanced tools designed for 1500+ work scenario, make Excel much easy and increase productivity immediately.60-day Unlimited Free Trial
In Excel, you can use the Sort function to sort a column and keep rows.
1. Select the column data you want to sort, and then click Data > Sort. See screenshot:
2. In the Sort Warning dialog, keep Expand the selection option checked, and click Sort.
3. In the Sort dialog, specify the criterion that you will sort on and the sorting order. See screenshot:
4. Click OK. Now the selected column has been sorted and the intact rows are still kept.
If you want to sort the column data based on the absolute values, the Sort function of Excel cannot directly help you sort them. Now I introduce the Advanced Sort of Kutools for Excel for you.
With Kutools for Excel’s Advanced Sort function, you can sort data by absolute value, month, day, frequency, last name and so on.
|Kutools for Excel, with more than 300 handy functions, makes your jobs more easier.|
After installing Kutools for Excel, please do as below:（Free Download Kutools for Excel Now!)
1. Select all the data range and then click Enterprise > Advanced Sort. See screenshot:
2. In the Advanced Sort dialog, select the column you want to sort, and then select the criterion you want to sort on, then select the sorting order. See screenshot:
3. Click Ok. Now the selected column data has been sorted with intact rows kept.
If you are interested in Kutools for Excel’s Advanced Sort utility, you can click here to know more detail about this utility.
Tabbed browsing & editing multiple Excel workbooks/Word documents as Firefox, Chrome, Internet Explore 10!
You may be familiar to view multiple webpages in Firefox/Chrome/IE, and switch between them by clicking corresponding tabs easily. Here, Office Tab supports similar processing, which allow you to browse multiple Excel workbooks or Word documents in one Excel window or Word window, and easily switch between them by clicking their tabs. Click for free 45-day trial of Office Tab!