How to sort a column but keep intact rows in Excel?
Suppose you have multiple columns in a worksheet, now you want to sort a column and keep its intact rows order as below screenshot shown. Here I will tell you some ways to solve this problem in Excel.
In Excel, you can use the Sort function to sort a column and keep rows.
1. Select the column data you want to sort, and then click Data > Sort. See screenshot:
2. In the Sort Warning dialog, keep Expand the selection option checked, and click Sort.
3. In the Sort dialog, specify the criterion that you will sort on and the sorting order. See screenshot:
4. Click OK. Now the selected column has been sorted and the intact rows are still kept.
If you want to sort the column data based on the absolute values, the Sort function of Excel cannot directly help you sort them. Now I introduce the Advanced Sort of Kutools for Excel for you.
With Kutools for Excel’s Advanced Sort function, you can sort data by absolute value, month, day, frequency, last name and so on.
|Kutools for Excel, with more than 300 handy functions, makes your jobs more easier.|
After installing Kutools for Excel, please do as below:（Free Download Kutools for Excel Now!)
1. Select all the data range and then click Kutools Plust > Sort > Advanced Sort. See screenshot:
2. In the Advanced Sort dialog, select the column you want to sort, and then select the criterion you want to sort on, then select the sorting order. See screenshot:
3. Click Ok. Now the selected column data has been sorted with intact rows kept.
If you are interested in Kutools for Excel’s Advanced Sort utility, you can click here to know more detail about this utility.
Best Office Productivity Tools
Supercharge Your Excel Skills with Kutools for Excel, and Experience Efficiency Like Never Before. Kutools for Excel Offers Over 300 Advanced Features to Boost Productivity and Save Time. Click Here to Get The Feature You Need The Most...
Office Tab Brings Tabbed interface to Office, and Make Your Work Much Easier
- Enable tabbed editing and reading in Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher, Access, Visio and Project.
- Open and create multiple documents in new tabs of the same window, rather than in new windows.
- Increases your productivity by 50%, and reduces hundreds of mouse clicks for you every day!