How to return day of the week from date in Excel?
If you have a list of date in your worksheet, and now you want to know the specific day of the week. For example, today is 2015/7/16, and I want to know it is Thursday. How could you extract the day of week name from the given date in Excel quickly and easily?
Enable you to do smarter, faster and better
The following simple formulas may help you to get the day of the week name from the given date, please do as follows:
1. Enter this formula: =TEXT(A2, "dddd") into a blank cell besides your data, see screenshot:
2. And then drag the fill handle over to the cells that you want to apply this formula, and the day of the week names have been returned from the date, see screenshot:
The above formula: =TEXT(A2, "dddd") will give the full name of the day, such as: Sunday , Monday … etc;
And this formula: =TEXT(A2, "ddd") will give the abbreviated name of the day : Sun , Mon, Tue … etc.
You can apply one of them as your need.
The Format Cells command also can help you to finish this job.
1. Select the date range that you want to convert to day of week.
2. Then right click and choose Format Cells from the context menu, see screenshot:
3. In the Format Cells dialog box, click Number tab, and then click Custom option under the Category list box, then enter “ddd” or “dddd” into the Type text box, see screenshot:
Tips: “ddd” will give the abbreviated name of the day, and “dddd” will give the full name of the day.
4. Then click OK button to close the dialog, and you will get the following results:
If you have Kutoools for Excel, with its Apply Date Formatting utility, you can also convert the date to day name, moth name, year name or other date formatting as you like.
|Kutools for Excel: with more than 300 handy Excel add-ins, free to try with no limitation in 60 days. Get it Now.|
After installing Kutools for Excel, please do as follows:( Free Download Kutools for Excel Now )
1. Select the date cells that you want to get the day of week name.
2. Then click Kutools > Format > Apply Date Formatting, see screenshot:
3. In the Apply Date Formatting dialog box, choose Wed or Wednesday from the Date formatting list box, and you can preview the results from the Preview pane, see screenshot:
Tips: “Wed” will get the abbreviated name of the day, and “Wednesday” will get the full name of the day.
4. Then click Ok or Apply button, all the selected date have been replaced by the day name that you want.