How to split a column every other row in Excel?
For example, I have a long list of data, and now, I want to split the column into two lists equally by every other row as following screenshot shown. Are there any good ways to deal with this task in Excel?
The following formulas may help you to quickly split a column into two columns by every other row, please do as follows:
1. Enter this formula into a blank cell, C2, for example, =INDEX($A$2:$A$13,ROWS(C$1:C1)*2-1), see screenshot：
2. Then drag the fill handle down until the errors are displayed in the cells, see screenshot:
3. Then enter another formula into cell D2, =INDEX($A$2:$A$13,ROWS(D$1:D1)*2), and drag the fill handle down to the cells until error values appears, and the column values have been split into two columns every other row, see screenshot:
If you are interested in VBA code, here, I can talk about a code for you to solve this problem.
1. Hold down the ALT + F11 keys in Excel, and it opens the Microsoft Visual Basic for Applications window.
2. Click Insert > Module, and paste the following code in the Module Window.
VBA code:Split a column into two columns every other row
Sub SplitEveryOther() 'Updateby Extendoffice Dim Rng As Range Dim InputRng As Range, OutRng As Range Dim index As Integer xTitleId = "KutoolsforExcel" Set InputRng = Application.Selection Set InputRng = Application.InputBox("Range :", xTitleId, InputRng.Address, Type:=8) Set OutRng = Application.InputBox("Out put to (single cell):", xTitleId, Type:=8) Set OutRng = OutRng.Range("A1") num1 = 1 num2 = 1 For index = 1 To InputRng.Rows.Count If index Mod 2 = 1 Then OutRng.Cells(num1, 1).Value = InputRng.Cells(index, 1) num1 = num1 + 1 Else OutRng.Cells(num2, 2).Value = InputRng.Cells(index, 1) num2 = num2 + 1 End If Next End Sub
3. Then press F5 key to run this code, and a prompt box will pop out to remind you select the data range that you want to split, see screenshot:
4. And click OK, another prompt box is popped put to let you select a cell to put the result, see screenshot:
5. Then click OK, and the column has been split into two columns by every other row. See screenshot:
If you want to learn more new things, I can recommend a powerful tool --Kutools for Excel, with its Transform Range utility, you can quickly convert a single row or column to a range of cells and vice versa.
|Kutools for Excel : with more than 300 handy Excel add-ins, free to try with no limitation in 30 days.|
After installing Kutools for Excel, please do as follows:( Free Download Kutools for Excel Now )
1. Select the column data that you want to split into two columns by every other row.
2. Then click Kutools > Range > Transform Range, see screenshot:
3. In the Transform Range dialog box, select Single column to range under the Transform type, then choose Fixed value and enter 2 into the box in the Rows per record section, see screenshot:
4. Then click Ok button, and a prompt box will pop out to remind you select a cell where you want to output the result, see screenshot:
5. Click OK, the list data has been split into two columns every other row.