How to split cell values into multiple columns in Excel?
In Excel, when you want to split a list of cell values into multiple columns by certain delimiters, such as comma, space, period, newline, ect, normally, the build-in Text To Columns feature may help you to finish this job step by step. This article, I will talk about some good tricks for you to split the cell values into multiple columns or rows easily and quickly.
For example, I have the following data text strings which are separated by periods as following screenshot shown:
To split cell values to multiple columns by the delimiters, please do as follows:
1. Select the range of values that you want to split.
2. Click Data > Text to Columns, see screenshot:
3. In the Convert Text to Columns Wizard step1, choose Delimited option, see screenshot:
4. Click Next button, in step2 of the wizard, check Other option and specify the character that you want to split the values based on under the Delimiters, see screenshot:
5. Go on clicking Next button, in the following step, select General from the Column data format option, and then click button to select a cell where you want to output the result, see screenshot:
6. And then click Finish button, and your selected values have been split into multiple columns by the specific delimiter - period, see screenshot:
If you want less steps to finish this problem instead of the above method step by step, the Kutools for Excel’s Split Cells can help you quickly split cell values by any separators.
|Kutools for Excel : with more than 300 handy Excel add-ins, free to try with no limitation in 30 days.|
After installing Kutools for Excel, please do as follows:( Free Download Kutools for Excel Now )
1. Select the range cells that you want to split to multiple columns.
2. Click Kutools > Merge & Split > Split Cells, see screenshot:
3. In the Split Cells dialog box, select Split to Rows or Split to Columns under the Type as you need, and then choose one separator that you want to split values based on, and you can also type any other delimiters into the Other text box as you need. See screenshot:
4. Then click Ok button, another prompt box will pop out to remind you select a cell where you want to put the result, see screenshot:
5. Click OK button, you will get the following result as you need.
With this feature, you can also split the cell values by other separators, such as comma, space, newline, etc.