How to remove extension from filename in Excel?
For removing extension from filenames and only leaving the filename as below screenshot shown, here are two methods for you.
You can remove extension from file name with formula, please do as follows.
1. Select a blank cell adjacent to the filename (here we select cell B2), type formula =LEFT(A2,LOOKUP(2^15,FIND(".",A2,ROW(INDIRECT("1:"&LEN(A2)))))-1) into the Formula Bar, and then press the Enter key.
You can see the file name is extracted to the selected cell without extension.
2. Select the cell B2, drag the Fill Handle down to the cells until all filenames are extracted without extensions. See screenshot:
With the Split Cells utility of Kutools for Excel, you can get the filenames without extensions with splitting cells by comma.
Before applying Kutools for Excel, please download and install it firstly.
1. Select the cells with filename you want to remove extension. Click Kutools > Merge & Split > Split Cells. See screenshot:
2. In the Split Cells dialog box, select Split to Columns option in the Type section based on your needs, then select the Other box, type dot mark “.” Into the box, and then click the OK button.
3. In another popping up Split Cells dialog box, select a blank cell for locating the filename, and then click the OK button.
You will get all filenames without extensions immediately in specified cells. See screenshot:
Note: If there are multiple dot marks existing in the file name, the Split Cells utility will separate this file name to multiple cells based on the dot mark numbers.
You are guest ( Sign Up? )
or post as a guest, but your post won't be published automatically.
- To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 10 months agoThis is not a good example since the file names may contain any number of ".", i.e. my.file.pdf, another.file.like this.pdf
- To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 1 years agoThe formula version does not work with Excel 2016, i just can't figure out how to do get it done.
I get a formula error =1+1 results in 2 and '=1+1 results in 1+1...