How to remove extension from filename in Excel?
For removing extension from filenames and only leaving the filename as below screenshot shown, here are two methods for you.
You can remove extension from file name with formula, please do as follows.
1. Select a blank cell adjacent to the filename (here we select cell B2), type formula =LEFT(A2,LOOKUP(2^15,FIND(".",A2,ROW(INDIRECT("1:"&LEN(A2)))))-1) into the Formula Bar, and then press the Enter key.
You can see the file name is extracted to the selected cell without extension.
2. Select the cell B2, drag the Fill Handle down to the cells until all filenames are extracted without extensions. See screenshot:
With the Split Cells utility of Kutools for Excel, you can get the filenames without extensions with splitting cells by comma.
Before applying Kutools for Excel, please download and install it firstly.
1. Select the cells with filename you want to remove extension. Click Kutools > Merge & Split > Split Cells. See screenshot:
2. In the Split Cells dialog box, select Split to Columns option in the Type section based on your needs, then select the Other box, type dot mark “.” Into the box, and then click the OK button.
3. In another popping up Split Cells dialog box, select a blank cell for locating the filename, and then click the OK button.
You will get all filenames without extensions immediately in specified cells. See screenshot:
Note: If there are multiple dot marks existing in the file name, the Split Cells utility will separate this file name to multiple cells based on the dot mark numbers.
Best Office Productivity Tools
Supercharge Your Excel Skills with Kutools for Excel, and Experience Efficiency Like Never Before. Kutools for Excel Offers Over 300 Advanced Features to Boost Productivity and Save Time. Click Here to Get The Feature You Need The Most...
Office Tab Brings Tabbed interface to Office, and Make Your Work Much Easier
- Enable tabbed editing and reading in Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher, Access, Visio and Project.
- Open and create multiple documents in new tabs of the same window, rather than in new windows.
- Increases your productivity by 50%, and reduces hundreds of mouse clicks for you every day!