How to extract month and year only from date in Excel?
If you have a list of date format, now, you want to extract only the month and year from date as left screenshot shown, how could you extract month and year from the date quickly and easily in Excel?
Apply other date formatting to current date:
With Kutools for Excel’s Apply Date Formatting, you can convert the normal date format to any other formatting as you need.
Kutools for Excel: with more than 200 handy Excel add-ins, free to try with no limitation in 60 days. Download and free trial Now!
The following simple formulas may help you to extract only the month and year from the given date, please do as follows:
1. Enter the formula: =TEXT(A2,"mmm-yyyy") into a blank cell besides your data, C2, for instance, see screenshot:
2. Then drag the fill handle down to the cells that you want to apply this formula, and only the month and year have been extracted from the date column, see screenshot:
1. Except the above formula, you can also apply this formula: =TEXT(A2, "mmm") & "-" & TEXT(A2, "yyyy").
2. In above formulas, A2 indicates the date cell that you want to use, and the separator “-” is used to separate the month and year, you can change it to any other delimiters you need.
If you have Kutools for Excel, by using its Apply Date Formatting utility, you can convert the date to any other date formatting as you want without applying any formulas.
|Kutools for Excel : with more than 300 handy Excel add-ins, free to try with no limitation in 60 days.|
After installing Kutools for Excel, please do as this:( Free Download Kutools for Excel Now )
1. Select the date cells that you want to convert to month and year format.
2. Click Kutools > Format > Apply Date Formatting, see screenshot:
3. In the Apply Date Formatting dialog box, please specify one date format that you want, this example, I will choose one of the month and year formats, see screenshot:
Tips: You also can choose Mar-01 as the month and year format.
4. Then click Ok or Apply button, the date has been converted to the month and year format, see screenshots: