How to extract month and year only from date in Excel?
If you have a list of date format, now, you want to extract only the month and year from date as left screenshot shown, how could you extract month and year from the date quickly and easily in Excel?
The following simple formulas may help you to extract only the month and year from the given date, please do as follows:
1. Enter the formula: =TEXT(A2,"mmm-yyyy") into a blank cell besides your data, C2, for instance, see screenshot:
2. Then drag the fill handle down to the cells that you want to apply this formula, and only the month and year have been extracted from the date column, see screenshot:
1. Except the above formula, you can also apply this formula: =TEXT(A2, "mmm") & "-" & TEXT(A2, "yyyy").
2. In above formulas, A2 indicates the date cell that you want to use, and the separator “-” is used to separate the month and year, you can change it to any other delimiters you need.
If you have Kutools for Excel, by using its Apply Date Formatting utility, you can convert the date to any other date formatting as you want without applying any formulas.
After installing Kutools for Excel, please do as this:( Free Download Kutools for Excel Now )
1. Select the date cells that you want to convert to month and year format.
2. Click Kutools > Format > Apply Date Formatting, see screenshot:
3. In the Apply Date Formatting dialog box, please specify one date format that you want, this example, I will choose one of the month and year formats, see screenshot:
Tips: You also can choose Mar-01 as the month and year format.
4. Then click Ok or Apply button, the date has been converted to the month and year format, see screenshots:
Best Office Productivity Tools
Supports Office/Excel 2007-2021 and 365 | Available in 44 Languages | Easy to Uninstall Completely
Kutools for Excel Boasts Over 300 Features, Ensuring That What You Need Is Just A Click Away...
Supercharge Your Excel Skills: Experience Efficiency Like Never Before with Kutools for Excel (Full-Featured 30-Day Free Trial)
Office Tab Brings Tabbed interface to Office, and Make Your Work Much Easier
- Enable tabbed editing and reading in Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher, Access, Visio and Project.
- Open and create multiple documents in new tabs of the same window, rather than in new windows.
- Increases your productivity by 50%, and reduces hundreds of mouse clicks for you every day! (Full-Featured 30-Day Free Trial)